How do you juggle it all in the morning? 8wk old lab, 3yo daughter in preschool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you juggle it all in the morning? 8wk old lab, 3yo daughter in preschool

amypasetti is offline Member

DefaultHow do you juggle it all in the morning? 8wk old lab, 3yo daughter in preschool

Hi all,

Any advice on how to do the AM shuffle? My husband has had off this last week so we have been working together. Next week different story. He goes to work and I have to take the toddler to preschool. Sadie should be OK in the crate for the hour that it takes me to go to school and back for drop off (fingers crossed!)

Currently, we wake up around 5--all of us. One of us has been feeding Sadie first, taking her outside and then waiting about 30 minutes until she does her business. The other makes breakfast for the daughter. We put Sadie in the crate while we eat because we still do not know her signals well enough and she also starts chewing everything in sight if we give her a little freedom and are not paying attention due to eating. Ideally, we would like to have a little play time outside and time for a last minute potty break before being out the door.

Thinking this may not be the most efficient use of time starting next week. There has been talk of crating her with a chewtoy/bone first thing (after potty) while we eat and then feeding her. Haven't tried this yet.

I have to leave the house with my daughter ready at 0730. We both have to start getting ready around 0630 to be ready by 0730. That includes time for toddler drama and potty breaks for her. That doesn't leave much time. My husband leaves at 0630.

I am sure, like anything in a few months this will seem silly and we will have it down. I am 28 weeks pregnant, so maybe I am just more easily stressed out right now and feeling under pressure to make this happen and get a routine before the baby comes. Thanks!

Amy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Maybe taking her out to potty first (cutting down that 30 minutes of waiting), then feed her. We always take our pup out first. he's REALLY hungry in the morning and knows that as soon as he has done his business, he gets fed. Then once fed, he goes back in his crate as we are being fed. (Like your pup, gets into everything or begs at the table, which we won't allow).

Not silly at all. Don't think your easily stressed due to pregnancy. Smart to think of plan now.

KAZ

Eresh is offline Senior Member

When my pup was a baby, I woke up 30-45 minuted earlier than normal and took care of her feeding/potty. Then it was back in the crate while I dealt with the kids getting ready, breakfast, etc. Then I took pup along in the car while I dropped the kids off. Then I came home and had play time with pup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

yeah I wake up earlier. especially with a child so young that they need more supervision and help. Wake up a good 20 minutes earlier to spend that time outsides with the puppy, then you can crate while getting ready and bringing daughter to daycare.

Are you home during the rest of the day? if so even an hour or two in the crate in the AM to get ready won't be the end of the world though she may cry.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

When we got Ruby I was already set in my morning ways:

1. Pour some coffee for myself
    2. sit down with the internet / email and try to regain consciousness

There is no room in the above for an 8 week or even older lab so I made this thing that buys me the needed 20 minutes to be ready for the puppy onslaught.

Even now at 14 months I feed her this way as I still need to get it together in the AM although Ruby can now empty this thing in 10 -12 minutes.

I give you the hyper puppy s-l-o-w feeder.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ow-feeder.html
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby No! View Post
    When we got Ruby I was already set in my morning ways:

1. Pour some coffee for myself
    2. sit down with the internet / email and try to regain consciousness

There is no room in the above for an 8 week or even older lab so I made this thing that buys me the needed 20 minutes to be ready for the puppy onslaught.

Even now at 14 months I feed her this way as I still need to get it together in the AM although Ruby can now empty this thing in 10 -12 minutes.

I give you the hyper puppy s-l-o-w feeder.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ow-feeder.html
    Was like that but made room for my pup. Regaining consciousness with a cup of coffee on a walk instead in front of a computer. Good idea, but thankfully no hyper chow hound here.

KAZ

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Now you know what your breeder went thru for 8 wks! Last winter I had not one, but *3* litters here (not all at the same time!). So my life was like that from Dec - June. I don't have toddlers but I do have multiple dogs and run a business as well. You will just have to find out how to organize yourself if you want this to work, otherwise, hate to say it, but you may want to rethink the puppy w/ another baby on the way. It will not be easy to juggle.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Oops. Sorry if I wasn't clear! We always take her out to potty first. Then I am waiting an additional 30 minutes with her outside after meals until she does her business.

I do this because I can't tell if she is barking to go outside or barking to potty after her AM meal. Staying out there until it happens reassures me but also wastes time on my end.

I let her out, crated her, made my daughter breakfast, then made Sadie's breakfast this AM. It worked, but am still playing with things for efficiency. Thanks again, KAZ

Groan. OK. I am thinking that this is the best possible alternative but I don'T like it! Ha!

Never thought of taking her with me. I do have to get out of the car (she is 3) so I am not sure how I would do that without Sadie freaking out. She did make it OK today in the crate while we were gone. We tired her out before we left Thanks for the suggestions!

Amy

Thanks, dryfo. I am thinking that this is the way to go for now. I won't always have to wake up early to do it so I can deal.

I am home during the rest of the day, minus pick up time. Thanks again!

Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast