2 puppies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 puppies?

Default2 puppies?

My husband is considering getting 2 puppies. I think it's a bad idea. Not to mention the work and expense, I think it'll be harder to train. Has anyone had any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 2 puppies?

BAD IDEA!!!!

Very few people can handle two puppies at once... especially lab puppies. BELIEVE ME... ONE IS PLENTY!!!!

Most people wait 1-2 years before getting a second lab... remember.. labs stay puppies for 2 yrs!!!

Also... getting two puppies at the same time will bond them together instead of bonding them to you. This will make it ten times harder to train them. Training will require one on one time... so basically TWICE the time, twice the expense...
    ~Lindsay

Thank you!! That's what I told my husband. I think it'll be easy to convince him to wait a few years for #2.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maybe the mom of Bo & Luke will respond. She got her boys around the same time I got Toby, and I just can't imagine how much work it must be. The other thing is that when you have just one at a time, I think you really get to connect with them deeply because they aren't distracted by one another, and you have less physical work to do with them. The biggest reason why I will think a second dog through very long and hard is that we take Toby with us absolutely everywhere, and with two dogs we just couldn't do that.

Good luck!

Dani is offline Senior Member

NOt adviseable. And no reputable breeder would send home littermates to the same family. Wait.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

No reputable breeder would send home littermates to the same family
    ditto.

Having 2 dogs is great but wait until the first pup is COMPLETELY trained and mature.

Yeah, I'd rather do that.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

There are some great websites out there to help you convince him I found these by just "Googling" two puppies:

http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/double_trouble.pdf
    http://www.leerburg.com/2dogs.htm
    http://www.mastamariner.com/advice_s...2_puppies.html

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

If u are gonna train him then dont buy another lab until the first one is atleast 10 mths to a year and has had good 3-4 months of obeidence training . even then i'd recomend waiting a bit longer. However there are plenty of examples where 2 dogs of similar age have co-existed. It all depends on yur set up. For example i live on a farm with plenty of people working for me and I have raised 2 GSD champions which were only 6 months apart..for a proper development of the pup one needs to give it ample sence of independence as well the oppoturnity to bond with the master. If u ahve a large setup and can cater to the two dogs independly then i say give it about 6-7 months and get another labrador otherwise wait atleast 12-16 months .

OK - I know from experience. Hunter and Lilly are litter mates. They are now 8 months old. Everything the others have said is correct. 2 puppies is a lot of work. What one doesn't think of, the other will. Now, having said that... I wouldn't change my decision of getting two. My husband and I do not have any children. I am able to spend a ton of time with the girls and I really work with them. I do think that they would be "better" dogs if they were seperated. I've read from other posts that Bo&Luke feels the same way. Overall, I would advise against it. One lab is enough work. Trust me, Hunter and Lilly keep me on my toes. But, oh my, I sure do love them with all my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast