Jumping on cars 8 month old lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping on cars 8 month old lab

DefaultJumping on cars 8 month old lab

I have a problem Buster has been jumping on vehicals for a few months now. He absolutely loves car rides. But my issue is, when I let him outside to go potty he decides to jump through the window of any vehical and shreds things in the car. My car was a hoopty so it didn't bother me, but he never jumps on the cars in front of u always when he is out alone. We have a duramax which is my boyfriends baby and he walked out to start it this am and there are paw marks and scratches because he jumped in the window.

This is the issue I don't want to sit in the vehical and call him to jump in because that confusing to a pup to call him and then tell him no. And he always does it when no ones looking. So what can I do to teach him not to jump on cars.

My boy friend was so mad he told me I needed to get rid of him today. I just want a good mannered dog. He's a good dog he really is

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Only thing I can think of is supervising him 100% and catching him at trying to jump in the car. I'd be a little nervous at this habit as didn't you lose your first dog to a hit and run in the driveway? So important to train your dogs regarding cars. And a command of "Stop" and "down" or "off" is a must. They must know these. And they must have manners around cars, doors, etc. Don't blame your boyfriend for being angry with all the scratches of his car.

My husband had a really good idea just now. Don't you have local antique car gatherings? Take your pup to the area where they are for sale. You will find older vehicles not in the best body condition to walk around and you will teach your pup "No". Just explain to the people what you are doing and I don't think any "motor head" would say no. They love animals too and learning safety is a plus.

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

don't let him outside off lead, and then you have some control.

and i'd revisit your boyfriend's comment and probably get rid of him. i'm assuming someone taught your boyfriend manners so why not try teaching the dog. they don't come well behaved and trained. it takes time and lots of patience and effort.

and if my husband had his 65 vette at a car show and someone wanted to "practice" teaching their dog not to scratch and jump on his car , my husband might tell them to find a different way to train. motor heads with vintage cars practically polish the cars so you can apply your make -up, so sorry, i'd think a different way to train is more appropriate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio View Post

and if my husband had his 65 vette at a car show and someone wanted to "practice" teaching their dog not to scratch and jump on his car , my husband might tell them to find a different way to train. motor heads with vintage cars practically polish the cars so you can apply your make -up, so sorry, i'd think a different way to train is more appropriate.
    Please read the "for sale" part. Also the part about "asking". Shame some don't quite grasp my opinion. Oh well.

OP, I'd get some help with the pup.

Good Luck. If you were near me, as a past "collector of 1971 Roadrunner" and "1972 Dodge Charger", I'd give you some really good advise. But there are "for sale" parts cars there. That's how some make their money to help their hobby.

Again Good Luck.

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Please read the "for sale" part. Also the part about "asking". Shame some don't quite grasp my opinion. Oh well.

OP, I'd get some help with the pup.

Good Luck. If you were near me, as a past "collector of 1971 Roadrunner" and "1972 Dodge Charger", I'd give you some really good advise. But there are "for sale" parts cars there. That's how some make their money to help their hobby.

Again Good Luck.

KAZ
    local antique car gatherings in long island, where i live, are not cars that are wrecks. antique cars are a breed of their own so you are right, i didnt grasp what you meant. if you mean old wrecks, that is not the same as an antique car.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Wow. I'd be really TICKED if any of my girls jumped on a car, so I'm w/ the boyfriend. Maybe not to the point of getting rid of the dog, but certainly he'd not be allowed outside off leash. And when he was outside on leash, it'd be w/ a prong collar... and I'd be teaching him pronto that OFF means OFF. Unless you want to be repainting all your friends' cars... I'd be bustin' Buster for his awful manners!

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mauricio View Post
    local antique car gatherings in long island, where i live, are not cars that are wrecks. antique cars are a breed of their own so you are right, i didnt grasp what you meant. if you mean old wrecks, that is not the same as an antique car.
    Yep, old clunkers that are good for "parts". Wouldn't let my kid go near an antique without putting his hands in his pockets and keeping them there.

If you go "prong" definitely get some lessons with training. You are going to have to keep Buster on lead until you break his habit of jumping in the car. My pup is getting to know the joy of car rides. But as I've taught him to sit and wait at the back door to go out sit and wait at the gate to go for a walk, he sits and waits until I place him in (too small yet to jump in). But you need to do this as it looks like boyfriend already wants to pack Buster's bags. If not, I'd start to look to re-home, as all that will happen is fights between the two or have Buster jump on someone's car and get sued for damages. Or even have Buster hurt trying to jump and this will then create more drama as it is expensive to fix knees or hips or whatever gets hurt.

KAZ

I have a prong and never thought about that! Because he is a pup he is hyper he knows manners to where he is not jumping on people and cars when people are around. it's like he is trying to get away with it when we r not present. Thank u for all the advice! And about the car thing I understood what u ment! I lost my first pup and my boyfriend saw it Pete was in my drive way and a young punk kid served and hit him then backed up over him and sped off. Petey had no bad habits he was 14 wks old when killed and it's a touchy subject.

And another thing is he is very well mannered! Ron hasn't liked Buster from day one when we brought him home. He doesn't listen to Ron, and that's because in my eyes Ron doesn't work with him, play with him or install that he is the above him in the pack. I am the pack leader to buster. He listens to my 4&3 yr olds better then to Ron. So personally I don't think it's the dog I think it Ron. Buster knows that Ron doesn't like him and buster shows it by not listening!

Anyways!!! Buster sits before I let him outside, I go then the kids then buster same for entering the house! We live in the country so there are only a few spots he needs a lead. But on a walk we don't leave the yard with out his lead, he stops and sits before we cross the rd and then he heels at my left side through the walk he even heels at the left when I ride my bike with out lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster_Brown View Post
    And another thing is he is very well mannered! Ron hasn't liked Buster from day one when we brought him home. He doesn't listen to Ron, and that's because in my eyes Ron doesn't work with him, play with him or install that he is the above him in the pack. I am the pack leader to buster. He listens to my 4&3 yr olds better then to Ron. So personally I don't think it's the dog I think it Ron. Buster knows that Ron doesn't like him and buster shows it by not listening!

Anyways!!! Buster sits before I let him outside, I go then the kids then buster same for entering the house! We live in the country so there are only a few spots he needs a lead. But on a walk we don't leave the yard with out his lead, he stops and sits before we cross the rd and then he heels at my left side through the walk he even heels at the left when I ride my bike with out lead.
    Sounds like Buster Brown does have nice manners. He's a pup and knows how to push buttons. Shame on Ron for not getting involved. I would suggest working with Buster Brown to not touch Ron's car. Use treats and say "No". Buster is smart enough and will learn in time. I feel sorry for you and the kids that Ron doesn't want to be part of this dog's life. Like I said, takes all kinds to make a world, and never be surprised.

Keep doing what you are doing, and just practice with Buster to avoid going anywhere near Ron's car.

KAZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast