Potty Problems

Thread: Potty Problems

Jayberd4 is offline Junior Member

QuestionPotty Problems

Bo is 3 years old and still tends pee, or mark, in the house at night. He is let outside several times throughout the day to do his business. However, at night he still manages to go inside. He used to sleep at the foot of our bed until this issue came up. Now he sleeps in the kitchen so if he pees it's easy to clean up. He doesn't do it every night and it's unpredictable. And because he does it at night and we don't see it, we can't catch him in the act to discipline him. His "sister" a 12 year old German Shepherd was recently laid to rest due to medical issues. Although he still had "accidents" while she was around, is he acting out or trying to reclaim territory? He'd be the perfect dog if we can nip this in the bud. I'm sure I could crate him at night and put an end to this, but I'd rather be able to keep him loose in the house. Any advice/training/tips would be greatly appreciated. So confused and frustrated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jayberd4; 03-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Totally extreme but.

You could set up a webcam in the kitchen. There is software that will activate when it detects any motion. Shouldn't be too hard to have it play an audio file, 'BO! NO!'
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Are you deodorizing the pee site with OTC hydrogen peroxide or "Nature's Miracle" as soon as the peeing happens?

Ordinary soap and water isn't enough.

The odor of Pee announces "here's a good place to pee again"

The 2 products mentioned eliminate that when used assiduously.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 03-13-2009 at 12:13 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jayberd4 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Are you deodorizing the pee site with OTC hydrogen peroxide or "Nature's Miracle" as soon as the peeing happens?

Ordinary soap and water isn't enough.

The odor of Pee announces "here's a good place to pee again"

The 2 products mentioned eliminate that when used assiduously.

Yes, we use Nature's Miracle. I think I've narrowed it down to marking, not peeing. He always goes outside to pee. Now I just have to teach a 3 yr old, neutered Lab not to mark. I hear that it can be a self confidence issue and they mark to protect their pack (my family) and prevent possible confrontation with other dogs/animals. I need to find training that will build a Lab's self confidence. Any ideas???
    Last edited by Jayberd4; 03-13-2009 at 10:13 AM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Have you had him checked for a UTI? I would rule out a health issue if this is new behavior. If he is cleared medically I would have him back in a crate at night for a while to break him of this and then try him out again.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Have you had him checked for a UTI? I would rule out a health issue if this is new behavior. If he is cleared medically I would have him back in a crate at night for a while to break him of this and then try him out again.
    I second this.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

You can guess and guess why he is doing what he is doing, but in the end you will never know. Plain and simple, the dog is eliminating in the house and you want it to stop. Theorizing why he does it will get you nowhere in a hurry, so dont' spend time worrying about self confidence.

The only way you can make this situation is supervision. As long as he is able to soil the house, he will only get better at it and your job will become more and more difficult. He needs 100% supervision in the house so that you can quickly catch him in the act and wisk him outside. Put him in a crate or outside when you can not give him 100% supervision to prevent him from rehearsing unwanted behaviours.

If you are hit and miss with this and only catch him on occasion, then you are not teaching him not to eliminate in the house. If he has lots of opportunity to eliminate in the house without your presence, then when you happen to be present and take him outside, he is not learning that it is not OK to soil the house. He is learning that it is only OK to soil in the house when you are not around, so he will go around behind your back and do it. For this reason, you must provide 100% supervision with as few mistakes as possible. Only then will he understand that soiling the house is off limits. At that point, he can get his freedom back, room by room.

If this all sounds like more effort than you would like, then you could potentially get him a belly band and that will manage the situation.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Cheerio is offline Senior Member

Why don't you want to crate him? Doesn't he sleep at night anyway (besides when he's marking)?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Crate him. Otherwise, resign yourself to cleaning up pee. A nuetered male shouldn't be marking.