Need help with visit with relatives and their lab

Thread: Need help with visit with relatives and their lab

Brodie13 is offline Member

DefaultNeed help with visit with relatives and their lab

Hi all!

It's been a long time since I've been on the site. Some of you may remember my search for advice as to whether to add a weim or lab to our family. Well, Brody, our chocolate lab, joined our family 15 months ago. We are going through lab adolesence now. Brody has attended 6 obedience classes. Training Mr. Brody has been a journey to say the least lol. We will continue in obedience classes and I will not give up!!!!

We are planning a visit to my brother-in-laws this weekend. They have a four year old chocolate lab. Any suggestions on how I should handle the first meeting. Brody loves to jump and play with dogs when he meets them and can be a bit overbearing. He is high-energy. I have seen no signs of aggression with other dogs but his greetings are a bit overwhelming. They have a fenced in yard and an in-ground pool so I'm sure he will have a blast but I am concerned how they will get along. He was neutered at 6 months. He is also treat motivated and will do anything for food - typical lab haha.

Would love any suggestions/advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Hi to both of you! Newish here as I don't remember the advise on whether to go weim or lab. Sounds like though you made a decision on a sweet chocolate Lab.

Congrats!

With a first meeting, I'd keep Brody on leash and allow your BIL's 4 year old to approach. I think since it's his domain, allowing the senior of the two to approach while you keep Jr. on leash. Go from there. 4 year old may love to have a high energy youngster around to run and swim. And since your Brody's greeting has not made other dogs aggressive towards him, maybe all will be A-OK and both of you will have a lovely visit.

Hoping others come on and give you a more experienced approach.

KAZ

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I would not have one dog on leash and one loose.

The first question is - has their dog had other dogs over? is he socialized and friendly? If he is social, friendly and used to visits in the house, and yours is social, friendly just abit over the top I'd let them off leash (both of them) in the yard.

If there are concerns about the other dog not having had dogs in his space then start with both dogs on leash and go for a walk (they meet on neutral territory).

Strat with all toys and food removed. Don't feed together as there is no need to chance anything. slowly introduce toys in. Make sure there are no bones or high value objects kicking around.

If you are nervous about meeting other dogs please talk to a trainer and work on that. YOU being nervous will stress your dog and can create more issues. You need to find a comfort zone for meetings so you can relax, and not put tension on the leash.

don't be afraid to interrupt play and redirect the dogs randomly if they get too exited (nothing wrong with taking the level down a notch). Even if they are not fighting it keep things from over heating.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Really not have your pup on leash?

Seems to be the case in this article I found. You have total control over your dog.

How to Handle Your Dog When Meeting New Dogs | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy

KAZ

I said I would not have ONE dog on leash and one off leash. it puts the one on leash at a disadvantage and you set them up to fail. both on leash or both off leash.

I don't know who that is that wrote that article nor what experience or training they have. there is tons of articles and information out there, not al of it is good. I would never introduce my dog on leash to a few off leash dogs.

I totally agree with making sure a dog has plenty of exercise beforehand.

Brodie13 is offline Member

The 4 year old lab has not had much socialization at all with other dogs. That is my concern since Brody is usually overly-friendly to a fault. Brody has been around many dogs during his obedience classes. Once class starts he ususally calms down and does not try to play with them. My father-in-law has a chihuahua who let Brody know, in no uncertain terms, that he did not appreciate his enthusiasm and since that time, Brody approaches him with caution lol but that incident has not curbed his enthusiam for meeting other dogs. I had no intention of having Brody off-leash for the first meeting. Your suggestions regarding food and toys were great! I am a bit nervous. I would like this to be a relaxing weekend for all of us including the dogs. I believe, once we get through the initial meeting, Brody will be just fine but not sure how much he will torment his older cousin to play and not sure how much his older cousin will tolerate. Do I let them figure it out with a watchful eye for any aggressive behavior from either (after the initial hellos) ?

ok then you need to take the two dogs for a walk. especially if the lab is not overly social. I would park and then have them meet you outside at the end of the driveway for a walk and see how they get along (off the other dogs property). You may want to keep them separated and manage interactions as they get used to one another.

Letting them work it out really depends how well you know and trust the dogs. With a dog with excellent bite inhibition that is social you let them work it out with redirection (ie. keep the meetings brief then separate and let them try again - too much staring and stiff body is not good, move apart and let them relax and go again).