Puppy Nippy And Mouthing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Nippy And Mouthing

robertherrington is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Nippy And Mouthing

Hi, I have a 10 week old black lab named Chloey. She is a good pup usually, but I would like to see what others have found effictive in curbing the nipping and
    mouthing behavior of their pups. I have two toddlers running around and I make sure that they interact appropriately with her, but she likes to run up and nip them or
    grab their shirts and take them down. After she does this I kennel her for a bit. She doesn't lick nearly as much as she mouthes. As soon as one of us goes to pet her
    she interprets it as a game and instantly either nips, and pinches with her teeth or sometimes gently mouthes our hands. She gets reprimanded with a loud noise, gets
    kenneled, but this hasn't been effective in curbing the behavior to any extent. I also tried bitter apple spray. But that doesnt even stop her. She countinues to do the same thing
    I don't wan't this to become a habbit that she takes with her to adulthood. Is this just something she will grow out of? If not what else can I try?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

I don't have toddlers but can understand the chasing part. You should see the new 8 week ole pup chase after my Flemish Giant rabbit when he moves. Just instinct to play like they have in the past with their siblings. Know our pup will be on leash next time as he will be growing much bigger and faster.

Regarding the nipping, since day one, I've sat on the floor and massaged my pup. Loves it for a while, then start getting nippy. When that happens, I redirect with a chew toy. He grabs the toy instead of my hand. He's really kind of easy to redirect, except with bunnies where he then got a time out. Also if he decides the redirection is no good and keeps nipping my hands, time out.

Eventually he will get the idea. Especially when he gets rid of those baby teeth (teething brings on nipping). I'd say you will have to be diligent. Keep redirecting, use time out like you have. And try a leash when the pup is around your children regarding nipping and pulling them down.

Wish you luck. No matter what temperament, lab pups do teeth which can bring on nipping to relieve those sore gums.

KAZ

onecrazymamma is offline Junior Member

I feel your pain - we have four children and a 9 week old pup. She is our 3rd labrador and have to say this is pretty common in most likely any pup. What we do, and our breeder also encouraged, was when she nips, is to press firmly on her muzzle to keep her for being able to open her mouth and saying "No" or "No bite". We have taught our older kids (4, 6 & 8) to do this on their own and it has helped tremendously. Sometimes they'll elicit a quick yelp, but the breeder ensured this was normal as it happens very frequently in litters. We also have a 6 year old labrador and she really helps curb her nipping, too.

Sometimes when pups are out of control like that it means they are overtired or overstimulated, so I tend to limit their out of crate time to 15-30 minutes followed by about 30-90 minutes of rest time.

Also, when they do this, try giving them something they CAN bite.

I promise it will get better - just be consistent!

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

I've heard of "curling the lip" to press against their teeth as a punishment or way to stop the nipping from a rescue handler. I was not impressed as it tended to make the pup even more aggressive. I've never heard of holding their muzzle shut before. But if it worked for you, good.

Limit the time out of the crate especially since they are just babies and need their rest as they grow FAST. Definitely find something pup can chew on. It's an amazing way to redirect.

KAZ

FLEA is offline Member

I agree with the redirection to something they can / allowed to chew on.
    Once you've owned a Labrador, everything else is just a dog.

hunters_mom is offline Junior Member

I honestly think just crating for the pup to settle down and a firm "no bite" works best. At least, it did for my puppy. Yelping, standing up and ignoring him, holding his mouth all seemed to rev him up even more. Redirecting didn't work because our hands looked a lot more fun to him. I got tired of trying that so I started saying, "that's enough," and crating with a toy for about 10 minutes. He would calm down and come back better (if he didn't fall asleep, which he mostly would).

"Sometimes when pups are out of control like that it means they are overtired or overstimulated." I 100% agree with this. I don't crate all the time for rest since my puppy didn't know how to relax without the crate for a bit. But if the puppy needs it, he needs it. 10 weeks is still really young too.

I think it has a LOT to do with growing up and learning the rules. My puppy was BAD with nipping at 10 weeks. Exactly what you are going through. I thought it'd never end. But at 13 weeks he calmed down CONSIDERABLY with nipping and now mostly licks. It was almost like overnight he had an epiphany or something. When he does start nipping, a time out is warranted. I brought him to a lot of puppy play dates and classes though, so maybe he learned not to nip so much through other dogs as well. Or he saw that play biting with other dogs wasn't a big deal, but humans do not like it.

In short, crate with chew toy for settling down is my suggestion.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    ...Especially when he gets rid of those baby teeth (teething brings on nipping).....
    No matter what temperament, lab pups do teeth which can bring on nipping to relieve those sore gums.

KAZ
    Actually nipping is not related to teething at all. Teething starts around 16 weeks or later. A 10 week old is NOT teething.

Puppies learn but putting everything in their mouths, and when they get excited they rip and pull. Anyone who has spent any time observing a litter of pups knows that once their eyes open and they grow teeth, it's all about grabbing, ripping and pulling. That's why its important not to get 6 week olds but 8 week olds...because they learn about bite inhibition from mom and littermates. But when you get them home, they have to relearn behavior with their new families.

Your puppy sees the kids as littermates, and with littermates anything goes.

I used to spend time with my last puppy doing what I call mouth wrestling. He'd lie on the couch with me and try to bite my hand, and I would turn my hand around to pinch his lip, and move it so that it wouldn't hurt me.

They grow out of it with patience. Though my pup still loves to put wrists in his mouth.

mauricio is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    I don't have toddlers but can understand the chasing part. You should see the new 8 week ole pup chase after my Flemish Giant rabbit when he moves. Just instinct to play like they have in the past with their siblings. Know our pup will be on leash next time as he will be growing much bigger and faster.

Regarding the nipping, since day one, I've sat on the floor and massaged my pup. Loves it for a while, then start getting nippy. When that happens, I redirect with a chew toy. He grabs the toy instead of my hand. He's really kind of easy to redirect, except with bunnies where he then got a time out. Also if he decides the redirection is no good and keeps nipping my hands, time out.

Eventually he will get the idea. Especially when he gets rid of those baby teeth (teething brings on nipping). I'd say you will have to be diligent. Keep redirecting, use time out like you have. And try a leash when the pup is around your children regarding nipping and pulling them down.

Wish you luck. No matter what temperament, lab pups do teeth which can bring on nipping to relieve those sore gums.

KAZ
    just a word to the wise. the dog is chasing the bunny, according to you, as if it is a litter mate. when does the litter mate become pray, which can be a natural instinct in a lab?

and I'm not sure that nipping at 8 weeks is due to teething because i don't think at 8 weeks they are teething. give them time, and they will turn into sharks with fur, then you will know teething.

how are you doing time out with him?

mauricio is offline Senior Member

Puppies: What to Expect the First Year

pups start teething at 13-16 weeks of age.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

personnaly i wouldnt "limit" puppy's time outside the crate. crate when needed, otherwise enjoy and raise your puppy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast