Please Help! My adult Lab frequent poddy breaks!

Thread: Please Help! My adult Lab frequent poddy breaks!

bluefire86 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPlease Help! My adult Lab frequent poddy breaks!

Hello,

I need some advice to help train my 3 year old Black Lab into holding his urine during the day. He frequently urinates and it is becoming very frustrating on my wife who works over nights and sleeps (tries) during the day. Background on my dog. He is a rescue that we adopted 4 months ago from our local shelter. He has been in that shelter twice and when he was about 6 months old he was abandoned and left to wander (so we think he has separation anxiety). Being left to wander at 6 months old he got hit by a car and as a result his front left leg had to be amputated so as a result he does not do long walks as it tires him out to fast. Back to the problem we are having. He seems to have to urinate a lot during the day, and if left alone to wander the house he will do it inside. He will defecate inside as well. My wife has no problem getting up in the middle of the day when she is to sleeping to let him out to use the bathroom but as of a few weeks or so he has been waking her up every hour by either wining really loudly, barking, or walking over to her and waking her up. He cannot be trusted to be let out of the room while she sleeps cause he will go if he feels the urge. We feed him twice a day the same food the same amount. His normal times that he uses the bathroom is 4:15am when I get ready to leave for work. 7:00am when my wife comes home, 9:30am, 11am, 2:30pm, 4pm, 6pm and again at around 9pm. He urinates all those times. We know it is not medical, he has been checked and in good health. He does have a kennel that is just big enough for him but that did not stop him from defecating and urinating in it. Real bad situation when you have a kitten running around and mistakes his, well, turds for play toys and bats them around the house. Thank god I'm replacing the carpet! Anyways, please if anyone has tips let me know! Also, how to stop the separation anxiety as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

So my first question is - have you ruled out any potential health reasons that would cause him to hold it in. UTI, maybe the accident caused an injury to his bladder function?

Assuming he is fully healthy, I would look at home much water he is drinking - how much water do you give her each day?

Lastly, if it's not a health issues, it may well just be he is not house trained. Just because he pees when you take him out (again, assuming there are no health issues) doesn't mean he "had" to pee. He's a male dog, they can pee over and over again. Are you seeing if they are full long pees or just squirts/marks to pretend he's going?
    It could be tied to anxiety as well.

What happens at night when you both sleep? Does he ever settle down for many hours and not go?

He is healthy. At night it is only me and he does settle down and sleep. He is rather house trained in the sense that he will tell us when he needs to go. He also does pee full streams when he goes out (he is fixed too). As for the water we try and keep his bowl full and fresh and he does not seem to "over" drink. We are starting to think that it might be anxiety related or the fact that he was a shelter dog and is used to going whenever he wanted to. We just do not know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

the peeing in the crate, does that only happen during the day when you are gone and the wife is there.

Has he bonded more with you? Do you do more with him? (feeding, walks, etc.) or is the work shared?

I would say that the work is shared. Though it would seem that he has bonded with me more due to the fact that I am more playful and do the walking more. He has only went to the bathroom once in the crate, not sure if it will happen again though. Haven't tried it. We now think that he is eating the cat litter/poop. Since he threw up his entire meal tonight and the cat litter and poop was all over the room that it is kept in. That might have something to do with his recent behavior of waking my wife up every hour.

i would work on crate training