How to train to "Speak"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to train to "Speak"?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow to train to "Speak"?

Hello,

I would like to train CoCo to bark at the door when she needs to go potty.*

Now she'll go to the door and sit (or try to chew on a shoe if we haven't put them in the closet!)...* But when she's older and we aren't keeping such a close eye on her, I would like her to be able to tell us she needs to go out.* I don't want to use the bell because (1) we have 3 doors she could possible be going out of depending on where we are in the house; and (2) I would like her to use the "speak" warning at our in-law's house as well, since she spends a lot of time there (they like to babysit the fur-grandkids!).

Any advice or links to articles?* I'll google this myself, but wanted to find out what has worked for others.
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How to train to "Speak"?

I dont have much real experience in this area, but my training class has a dog there that can speak on command. I think you will need to teach your process in three steps. First teach speak. While your working on speak, I would train your dog to sit by the door when needing to go out. Once youve established that sitting at the door opens it, and speak is coming along, just add them together. When your dog is sitting at the door waiting to go out, give the speak command, and only open the door when its given. This will make the dog think that sitting and barking opens the door.

Teaching speak... The guy that im in training with told me to bark and see if I cant get Allie to follow along, everytime I bark and say speak, if she barks, then a treat is given. I haven't attempted this, but it worked great for him. I think you could use different tools to get a dog to bark, like their favorite toy. If they bark over anything, I would say you have your tool. Allie almost never barks, I think i've heard her bark twice in your 10 month life and both times were as puppies. Allie is more of a whinner, but that whine never lasts more than a few seconds unless we are in the car, she may whine for 3-4 mins.

Good Luck with it, not sure I helped, but it worked for someone, so it may work for you.

Geez, I should of used the preview option, sorry for all the typos.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Brian! I definitely see how training in 3 parts would work best.

CoCo will bark sometimes when we're playing with her, but only when we get down at her level and make noises back to her... she does the play bow-bark-bounce-thing (cute!). So that could work.

And sometimes she barks when we're getting her food and we're not moving fast enough... I definitely will NOT reward that behavior with a treat, lol!
    ~Jo & CoCo

I've always found the "speak" command pretty easy to teach, and really just by saying "speak" and then barking myself....the dogs seemed to catch on pretty fast. At soon as they barked I'd give them a treat. I haven't taught this to our current pup as I found it can be a real nuisance. Everytime our other/past dogs wanted something they barked. It would be great if they had only used the bark in the appropriate situation, but no.

Yeah, that is my main concern. If I teach speak will she learn her voice has power and do it everything she wants something. I dont want to teach her to bark at things, but only when I want her to. Im not sure I could set that rule of when and when not to bark.

Yep, our first speak lesson went well! She was eventually barking upon "SPEAK" but then start barking up a storm, so I said "NO SPEAK" and am ignoring her. She's now stopped!

I think the key might be to make sure you ignore any other barking... hopefully?!
    ~Jo & CoCo

We taught our childhood dog 'speak' and he then spoke up whenever he wanted something. Have you thought about bell training? Toby just scratches at the door, and since it is glass we are just sticking with that.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Brianttu gave you a really excellent and the most reasonable protocol that will work with the majority of dogs.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by Seattlemom
    We taught our childhood dog 'speak' and he then spoke up whenever he wanted something.* Have you thought about bell training?* Toby just scratches at the door, and since it is glass we are just sticking with that.
    Yeah, I thought about bell training, but we will use a different door to take her out depending on where we are in the house. Also, she spends a lot of time at my in-laws house. So I can't really put bells at every door she goes out. She knows where the doors are now, and will go to them when she wants out, but if we weren't watching her we wouldn't necessarily know.

And scratching is a no-no on our wooden doors, which we need in our cooler climate...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Brianttu gave you a really excellent and the most reasonable protocol that will work with the majority of dogs.
    Yes, I can definitely see how this would work. I'll be following Brian's advice!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast