potty training reassurance

Thread: potty training reassurance

Defaultpotty training reassurance

Hi all!

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong in potty training.

First, Lucy is 9.5 weeks. She does great with poop. She even rang the bell one morning! I was soooo proud!

I try to keep my eye on her 100% of the time so there have been very few accidents that I did not catch her in. A few more this week since the older kids have been home from school and I thought they were watching her. When I do catch her I immediately yell NO and pick her up and take her outside. She does great with going outside. EVERY time I take her out she will pee. Since she is getting bigger I've been trying to direct her to the door instead of picking her up and taking her out. She seems to pee on the floor right in front of the door. Sometimes when she is playing she doesn't even take a break to sniff, she just goes. It seems like the second the urge hits she releases.

Am I correct in assuming that at this age they feel the poop sensation easier and have more time to react than the pee sensation? If she can hold it in her crate, why can't she hold it until she gets outside? Just too young?

Some days I feel like I'm doing it right, other days I feel like I must be missing something. Lucy is a great dog and we are really enjoying her. I know we can potty train. We have a 5 yr old Shi Tzu and we did fine with her. I'm just trying to do everything right. You screw up a 15 lb. dog, oh well, you screw up a 95 lb. dog you might have trouble!!

Thanks for all your help!

Kristy
    and Lucy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: potty training reassurance

Well she is only 9.5 weeks ... she's a baby. It certainly sounds like you are doing everything right. One of the reasons she can hold it in the crate is because she's not being active. You might want to break in the middle of a play session to go outside, instead of waiting (maybe too long) until it's over.

When she goes outside she will go like three times. Is this normal, or should she be emptying her bladder in one try. How would I know if she has a UTI?

Thanks-

Kristy
    and Lucy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

At that age Koko went everytime we said go potty even if it was a few drips! When she is playing with the kids stop her every 20 minutes or so and take her out. I found my older 2 (14 &15) did not notice the signs that Koko had to go and they just didn't seem to pay that much attention to it, when ever I thought the kids were watching her she had accidents :'( So I put the 20 minute rule into effect and it worked! now she will go to the door and bring us her leash. ( shhh don't tell but it's been 6 1/2 weeks since we've had and accident ssshhhhh)
    Terri

It sounds like your doing fine. I would try to put a name to it like telling her to go potty or I use "do your business" and "finish your business" this way when your in a time crunch they will go right away. I works great.

If you notice any leaking when she's walking or laying I'd worry about a UTI but puppies pee a lot so I doubt that's it right now. Just keep what your doing up and ring the bell everytime you go out so she catches on if you want her to ring it. If she seems to drink excessivly try regulating how much she drinks. Just keep trying to catch her in the act and correcting her and taking her out she will get it. Some take longer than others.

I think the problem is that I say "come on, go potty", but I also say "come on" when I'm trying to get her out the door. I'm trying to leave it at "go potty".

What a good girl KoKo! I'm waiting patiently for that "perfect" day!!

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate this site!

Kristy
    and Lucy