Frozen Kong (?)

Thread: Frozen Kong (?)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultFrozen Kong (?)

I know a lot of people here give frozen kongs as treats while their puppy or dog is in the crate. I'm pretty sure Molly is starting to teeth and wanted to give her one, but I have 2 questions first (lol)...do you fill the whole kong up? and does it make a mess? ie: smashed bananna all over the blankie in the crate and on the wires?

Thanks!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Frozen Kong (?)

I know this sounds crazy but... we wet the kong put a few carrots in it and freeze. then we give it to Koko who loves to chew the frozen kong and eat the frozen carrots no mess just damp blankets.

We do this for Zoey and I swear that it keeps her busy for almost an hour...the more frozen the kong, the longer it'll last...

We put some of her kibble in water and let it puff up from absorbing the water then fill her kong w/puffy kibble and seal it with peanut butter...then freeze this over night...Zoey loves it!!! She bites it constantly to work the food out and licks the frozen peanut butter off!!
    We totally love this!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Toby is 7 months old, and I've used lots of Kong stuffing suggestions from this Board: canned dog food (your current kibble brand), carrots, banana, yogurt, apple, leftover mac & cheese, etc. I do always freeze the Kong and Toby never makes a mess.

We always end up with a big slobber pool wherever Mocha was laying but it dries.

We do fill the Kong completely and no, they don't make a mess with it. *The only "mess" a frozen Kong leaves in our house, is a damp spot from them chewing on it. *

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

We've tried freezing CoCo's kong, but she's too little yet as we have the large red one. She can only get her kibble out if its dry and can rattle around and fall out. We do seal it with PB though, which she can lick out from the opening. She loooooooves it!

Hopefully we can freeze it soon, as I would like her to take a bit longer in getting out the food, but once the food is wet her tongue isn't long enough to lick it out from inside the Kong.
    ~Jo & CoCo

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Zoeysdad, I love your idea with the kibble! Simple and easy ;D

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I just bought one of these today and I thought it was great. I just put some dry food in it and sealed the ends with PB. Boone worked on it for about an hour and finally had all the pieces out. I also got the big one and he can't lick all the way inside it yet, so I am not ready to coat the inside with anything yet. He loved it and I loved watching him with it. Can't wait to try other things and especially the freezing. I know we won't ever use banana though. He won't touch it. He shuns bananas.