Outdoor Misbehaving
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Misbehaving

StevenMorg is offline Junior Member

DefaultOutdoor Misbehaving

Hi all

I have a 12 week choco lab who is pretty well behaved in the house, we've even trained him to do a load of tricks. However, in the past couple of weeks he has had his injections and can now go out into the big wide world, but unfortunately he is very naughty on the lead and I'd like some advice on how to train him best.

We've tried things like stopping every time the lead goes tight and making him come back and sit before moving on but this is like every single step so it's a bit impractical as we never get to actually walk anywhere so he gets bored and starts chewing the lead or pebbles from the ground. We've also tried treats but he just ignored the walk and instead is constantly looking for treats, trying to sit in front of us, which leads to us tripping over him!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

have you looked into puppy classes?

Also, this is NOT the dog misbehaving. He has NO IDEA what you want him to do. Walking "by your side at your speed" is super super weird to a dog, totally not natural.

memarich is offline Junior Member

our lab did the same thing, the only thing that helped was a pinch collar. Now I can walk him 2 miles! He's 5 months & 45 lbs, without this collar I could not walk him at all! We only us

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

They don't come trained out of the box. Enroll him in puppy classes. At 12 wks, he's plenty safe to attend a clean, well run puppy class.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

No offense to anyone that uses harnesses, and halti's, and pinch collars, and whatever else people use. In my opinion, these things don't fix your dogs from pulling, and misbehaving...they just make it more tolerable for you. To the OP, just get some puppy classes and then enroll the dog in obedience classes.

If I am out with my boy, and I see a dog with a halti (or some other device) walking towards us, I foose him or heel him depending on where the other dog is. It's just a sign that that dog is not trained.

Actually I used a pinch collar with my lab starting at five months and he is 8 months now and he too pulled the lead after hours of training with a collar as aid he now heels with no lead in a public park and for a pup I think that's pretty darn good so not all dogs with those training aids r untrained! I think that's a stereotype and it great to take a dog to classes but I've trained plenty of dogs with out classes. In which this was the first time I had to get a pinch collar. He didn't catch on to heel with out it. Now my 4 and 3 yr old can walk him with out being dragged by my 80 lb pup.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Enroll in a puppy class. Will help you as much as the pup! So much nicer to walk with a dog that doesn't pull all the time.

KAZ

mauricio is offline Senior Member

the dog has no clue on how to walk nicely on a leash. practice, practice, practice, and praise, praise , praise.

find a good class with many dogs in it, for socialization and learning simple things like how to walk nicely on a leash, sit, down and how to meet and greet nicely.

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Agree with above regarding a "simple" class. Basically learning a foundation which if an owner wants to expand on (ie: field, obedience, etc.) in the future. Socializing with the other dogs will help you and your pup if you decide to go to a dog park, go into competition, etc.

Wishing you all the luck. Hope you pop back and give an update.

KAZ

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buster_Brown View Post
    Actually I used a pinch collar with my lab starting at five months and he is 8 months now and he too pulled the lead after hours of training with a collar as aid he now heels with no lead in a public park and for a pup I think that's pretty darn good so not all dogs with those training aids r untrained! I think that's a stereotype and it great to take a dog to classes but I've trained plenty of dogs with out classes. In which this was the first time I had to get a pinch collar. He didn't catch on to heel with out it. Now my 4 and 3 yr old can walk him with out being dragged by my 80 lb pup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster_Brown View Post
    Thanks for your reply - I'd like to add my current boy holds multiple titles in obedience, rally, he races in agility and we perform shows on a drill team with 20 other trainers. He is also fully trained as a working dog.

I still stand by what I said, I will always put my dog first, and I will always heel or foose him out of the way of any dog...not just dogs with a halti or harness on. He comes first. The only dogs I allow him to "socialize" with are dogs on our team. If there is a dog walking towards us, I'm not going to asses whether or not that dog is trained. I automatically take him out of harms way.

If we are in an elevator (he comes to work with me), and kids or even older people (that should no better) get in and want to pet him or say hello I automatically put him behind me and he will stand behind me. He even does this on his own, he will get in behind me and sit in the corner so people leave him alone. He knows that he does not need to protect me in public...he knows that I am in charge and I will protect us. He has no problem protecting us if I give him the command to.

There are a lot of GREAT dog owners out there. We get the chance to socialize with a lot of dog owners that come out to see our shows, and meet us and the dogs and ask us questions. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad dog owners as well - in most cases they don't even know they are bad dog owners. Actually, change the word "bad" with inexperienced". The last place you'll find us is at a dog park, as this is usually a place they like to congregate. There are some private dog parks where we are that are an exception to this.

If a dog is loose, or even if a dog is with their owner on lead, and is out of control, and comes at me or my dog aggressively, I have no problem putting that dog in its place. I've done it before, and I'll do it again. After breaking up a couple of dog fights at the dog park, and tending to a dog that almost lost its life...you won't find me there again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast