New Puppy owner, Crate size?

Thread: New Puppy owner, Crate size?

DefaultNew Puppy owner, Crate size?

I am so happy to have this board here. I am a new member from Florida and I have owned dogs my entire life,including Labs, but this is my first little puppy. My Lab mix, Dash, is 12 weeks old and he weighs about 15-20 lbs. I adopted him from a rescue organization, S.A.F.E. society of Florida. Nothing but good things to say about them. They've been excellent throughout the entire process.

Weve had him now for over 3 weeks, and weve kept him in his puppy size crate. He has now grown to where he touches the front and the back of the crate when he lays down. The next size crate I have is large and he'll have alot of room in it. My question is when you all talk about a divider, how do you keep it up? I dont have a wire crate, its the plastic one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: New Puppy owner, Crate size?

I have a plastic crate also and we bought the big one to start with. I put one of our plastic ice chest coolers in the very back of it. it is almost the same width as the crate and it made the prefect size for him to sleep in.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Welcome!!! I don't remember if I saw you in the introductions page but if you haven't posted there you might want to just so other members can check in and welcome you to the board. Also there is a Frappr map where you can enter in your zip code and it shows were all our members are located around the globe. You can even zoom in on a state etc... pretty cool I think.

As for the crate... we have two... one plastic and one wire one. Now... the plastic one is bigger than Ender needs but he's been doing so well with potty training that we haven't found it necessary to block off sections of it. Maybe we are just lucky. I think if you are doing pretty well on the potty training and aren't "testing his limits" on how long he can hold it (i.e. leaving him in the crate for long periods during the day) you may not need to worry so much about blocking it off.
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shannon and I used boxes. You could go to UHAUL and pick out a size box that would fit just about right for your crate. Tape up the box and push it in, or Shannon and I had to take the crate apart to get the box in, because it was bigger than the doorway. You need anything that will take up mass and also not allow the puppy to climb up on, so it should almost reach the crate ceiling.

Once your dog is potty trained, we allow ours all the room she wants. We have an extra large crate so she has plenty of room.

During potty training the dogs space should only be large enough for them to turn around. A puppy will not pee where he/she sleeps, if they find a way to pee in the corner and not stand in it, your divider isnt working.

Good Luck!

I got a 42" Life Stages. It has a divider so I can start it small when we first get Miles then move it to grow with him. 42" is supposed to be big enough for a 90# dog so that should do it.

Thanks so much for all the advice. Hes getting so big so quick, so I know the dividers will be very temporary. Potty training is going well, but its been over 3 weeks now and I still cant see a sign that he has to go! Ive been teaching him to go to the front door, and Ive tried the bell idea, but he just doesnt give me a sign. He is now 13 weeks, anyone else have any other suggestions? When going #2 he has no problems, he barely ever has that type of an accident, but were still working on the peeing idea.
    Thanks

Prevention is best... take him out after every one of the following:

nap
    play (or better yet during play)
    drinking
    eating
    training

Praise him like he's cured cancer when he does do it right.

His signals are probably this

circling
    sniffing
    wandering off to a remote area of the room/house

Truthfully, I just kept taking Ender outside every 15 minutes whe he was younger. We still have our occassional accidents but it's mostly from our lack of paying attention to his signals. Ender does use the bells, he will nose them just a little or he will go to the door and just wait for us to come.
    ~Lindsay

Do puppies do anything besides
    nap
    eat
    drink
    play
    train

??

Oh, yeah, go to the bathroom :.

When we were training Bailey, we just had him out ALOT!!

I said "after they complete any of the following"

Sooo... for instance, when Ender lays down for a nap... as soon as he wakes up we go outside.
    ~Lindsay

I know, I was just trying to be funny.