A little rough with his little brothers

Thread: A little rough with his little brothers

ebgreen03 is offline Junior Member

DefaultA little rough with his little brothers

My wife and I adopted a 60 lb yellow lab last week named Bubba. We brought him into our home with 2 cats and a 7 lb Pomeranian. Bubba is a great dog, and he's a sweetheart, but he plays pretty rough. My Pomeranian (Thumper) seems most accepting of Bubba, but even when Bubba goes up to sniff and explore him, he does it too roughly and Thumper gets mad. My 2 cats won't even give Bubba a chance. When he gets too close, they start to hiss, and that just puts Bubba into play mode and he's chasing after them. So right now when Bubba starts to get crazy, we tell him no and call him over to try to get his mind off the cats or Thumper. If words don't work, I have to pull him off. It doesn't seem to be making progress. So my question is will the situation eventually calm down, or does anyone have a recommendation on another approach to use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

make sure interactions are always supervised and redirect the lab when he's too much. if the Pom is too calm/gentle (i.e. not correcting the lab) then you need to step in. Same with the cats.

for the first bit maybe let him drag a leash (when supervised) to stop him from trying to chase the cats and correct.

Makes use Bubba gets lots of physical exercise including off leash play. A tired lab is a good lab. Include lots of training to work his brain. Taking a good obedience class will help his training, work his brain and really really help with bonding.

oh wait this is the pup with heart worm right?

Honestly, set up the house with baby gates to give the cats a space they can be dog free. this is going to take longer if you can't really properly exercise the lab, so it will require tons more patience and supervision on your part.

Work his brain as much as you can since you can't work his body. lots of games, lots of training. make him work for his meals (feed with a kong or other toy or even with a muffin tin, whatever it takes to make him have to "think"). Research games you can play like hide and seek.

And again, make sure the cats always have a safe room/area of the house where the dog cannot chase them. use baby gates to manage everyone and give everyone space.

you can also use a hands free leash so Bubba is by your side when you move around and do whatever needs to be done in the house.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ebgreen03 is offline Junior Member

Hi Dryfo. Yes, Bubba has heartworms. I really appreciate all the tips. They make great sense. I'll look into the Kong products. I gotta find some more durable toys too, cause Bubba tears up everything I buy him too quickly.

if you get a kong get the black one, it is the most durable. Antelrs can be a good chew toy as well.