Books for training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books for training

DefaultBooks for training

While I was at PetSmart on Saturday I picked up a book on training. It is put out by Barron's and is written by September B. Morn. Just wondered if this was a good book. I thought I had seen it recommended either on here, oe elsewhere.

What other books would some of you suggest. Also, do any of you get the Labrador/Retriever specific mag put out by Dog Fancy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Books for training

The Other End of the Leash is a MUST READ. Author is Patricia McConnell

Also... a while back someone posted this link with all these online articles relating to all different kinds of training... http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/dog.htm

~Lindsay

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I bought that one by September Morn, too.

Much better is the one by Patricia McConnell for understanding dogs (not so much for training) and for training, my favorite is "Culture Clash" by Donaldson.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I bought that one by September Morn, too.

Much better is the one by Patricia McConnell for understanding dogs (not so much for training) and for training, my favorite is "Culture Clash" by Donaldson.
    LOL... perhaps I should finish reading Culture Clash (I started but got distracted) before I post my bazillion training questions.
    ~Lindsay

I bought and read a few different books on training, as well as borrowed from the local library. Over and above all, for me, was The Other End Of The Leash; got it at the library, then bought my own copy to have. It explained how to 'read' my dog and communicate with him, as well as great training advice. Want your dog to come to you....start running away from him, or crouch down, arms outspread...tips like that worked wonders for me; maybe lots of other people know that, but I didn't at the time. I also learned to just use hand signals. Tucker from the start watched my hands all the time, so I've used hand signals since he was a puppy. I've recommended that book to a few friends who've gotten puppies recently.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I compiled a list of good book from our previous forum (that went POOF) with comments by the JL members.

LINKY

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller is good. At least thats my favorite so far.

~elizabeth

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I may need to check these other books out also. Has anyone read the mag I listed? Just wondering if it would be worth the $9 price tag.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

As far as magazines, most of them are filled with ads. I personally would rather buy a book than a magazine. Or ask questions on this board. JMHO.

Actually I kinda read that magazine while I was waiting for someone at the store. It's alright, it touches on things a little bit but I'd go for the book, books seem to cover training and such better.

~Elizabeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast