Puppy gobbling food

Thread: Puppy gobbling food

2dogs0604 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy gobbling food

My 11 week old puppy is gobbling her food. I am feeding her puppy Authority food from Petsmart. I feed her three times a day. She's having total about two and a half cups a day. Is this the right amount? Anytime I feed her she gobbles it quickly and acts like she is starving. She has been treated for worms so I do not think it's related to any issues like that. I went and bought her a gobble bowl from petsmart but she still eats extremely fast. Is this normal puppy behavior that she will outgrow? I thought at first it was due to her coming from a large litter and maybe having to compete for food. However it's been three weeks since I got her and she's not slowing down. Any suggestions? Should I change her food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

My lab ate so fast aswell what I did was I bought 3 kongs and divided her meals into them, it took her longer(have me a bit of peace LOL!) and since then she eats slowly. I did that for a few weeks. What is her weight? If her weight is good I would stick with the amount your feeding.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

At 11 wks, my guess is she may not be getting enough w/ just 2.5 C total a day. That's more what my 8-9 wk olds would eat. My newest pup was at 3.5C at 11wks but she gets a fair amount of exercise too.

How does she feel (ribs), and is she gaining ~2 lbs per week on average? Those aspects are what I go by.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2dogs0604 is offline Junior Member

She is very little only 18 pounds. Sadly I got her from a family whose pet labs had puppies. It was their first litter and they were having mom fixed after. However when I went to pick her up she had flees. I treated her as soon as I got home and got her on advantage. However then I found out she had tape worms. It has been terrible honestly and in the future I will def go with a good breeder. I just didn't know any in my area at the time. I have had her several times at the vet and he says she will catch up. How much would you guys recommend I give her at each feeding? Do you think the type of food she is on is fine? She is small but doesn't look sickly. Thank you guys for the advice.

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

FWIW.

We still use this to feed Ruby twice a day.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ow-feeder.html
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

You can try using a special feeder bowl like I now do with my own Lab:

Whoa Buddy! bowl: Whoa Buddy! Dog Food Bowl Oster (Pet Equipment Supplies - Pet Travel Safety - Bowls Feeders)
    Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder bowl: Dog Games :: Slo-Bowls -
    DuraPet Slow-Feed bowl: Dishes & Bowls for Dogs: DuraPetâ„¢ Slow-Feed Bowl from Drs. Foster & Smith
    Petco Slow Feed bowl: Petco Blue Slow Feed Plastic Bowl at PETCO

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

dogfur is offline Member

You could spread the food out on a big tray or dish.