Potty training 11 week old puppy

Thread: Potty training 11 week old puppy

2dogs0604 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPotty training 11 week old puppy

Hi guys I am having issues with potty training my 11 week of female lab. Its been 13 years since I've potty trained a puppy and I don"t remember it being this hard. My puppy, Marlee is super smart so I'm not sure why she is having such a hard time, unless I'm going about it wrong. I am taking her at least every hour. I am also making sure she goes out about 15 minutes after meals. When I take her out (to our back yard) I use the same phrase "go potty" and she seems to know what to do. She always goes and potties. She is only having maybe one accident a day. However, I'd love to have none. She never has a bm its always a pee and its at random spots so it's not like she still smells it and is peeing there again. Several people have suggested I get puppy pads but I've never been a fan of them, believing she should learn to go outside and pee. However, I am about ready to try them. I am open to suggestions.

By the way, she is also kenneled at night and when we arnt home. She never ever has had an accident in there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Have you had her checked for a bladder infection (UTI)? That seems rather frequent for the age. Is she crated all night, w/o opportunity to potty? I try not to do that w/ mine, rather I have an expen set up w/ a potty pellet pool so they can relieve themselves, drink water, etc, as needed.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

2dogs0604 is offline Junior Member

She doesnt go outside at night. When I first got her I would set my alarm for every two hours. I'd end up dragging her out of the kennel taking her out and she'd actually lay in the back yard and look at me. I then switched to waiting on her to cry and I'd take her out. She stopped crying after a while and sadly I thought this was a good thing. Did this maybe cause an UTI? I do take her out every night at 11 pm and then she goes back out around 5 am. I typically get up earlier then 5 but she is always asleep and doesnt whine til around 5. I have never heard of the potty pallet before. Would a puppy pad work or would she chew it? I will ask my vet about a UTI thank you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I don't use the pads either. By the time my puppies are 3-4 wks old, they are trying to carry around the newspapers that I start my potty training area with in the whelping box! It's a comedy in action, so I transition to PELLETS (woody pet pellets) as quickly as possible since I like to try to have them in my expen set up by 4-4.5 wks and I want them solid on their potty business by then. I don't know if I can post a pic here, but we'll see...
    Attached Images Attached Images

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014