Swimming-temperature of water.

Thread: Swimming-temperature of water.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwimming-temperature of water.

Hello all...

Ender is 13 weeks now and since it is starting to get warmer here in Milwaukee, I am starting to wonder when we can take him down to Lake Michigan. Now obviously, Lake Michigan is huge and not like a normal lake so I'm wondering how I'll know if it is warm enough for Ender?

I'm also concerned with getting him in there during the summer as we have a zebra mussel problem (and now I hear a even more resiliant mussel has arrived) and their waste (I think) comes up shore... smells gawd AWFUL in the summer some days. So perhaps I won't be using the Lake Michigan in the height of summer and will opt for one of the other lakes in our area.

Thanks for the help/advice in advance!
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Swimming-temperature of water.

For puppy introduction to the water, you don't want to intro him to water that isn't comfortable. Make sure the water is a comfortable temp. You don't want to make him squeamish or uncomfortable by introducing him to chillier water.

I, personally, don't introduce a puppy to the water until its warm enough for me to atleast walk in and not go BRRRR!

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

We have a long weekend on May 20-22nd (Victoria Day), where our friends rent a cottage and get together, dogs allowed.

We're deciding between a farm house with fields and ponds, and a place right on the ocean... My friends two lab mixes will be there, and they loooooove the water, so I think either way, CoCo's getting wet! Although the pond will be much warmer!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Lindsay, I also wouldn't let him go in in the summer if the zebra mussels are bad, for the simple fact that those shells are razor sharp. I sliced my foot open on a few last summer and it hurt. I can only imagine what it would do to their pads.

As for temperature, I don't imagine that Ender would go in if it was too cold. These dogs are cold water dogs after all. I don't let mine go swimming in January mind, but this time of year if they want in, I let 'em. I just make sure when we get home that I take the hair dryer and make sure their hips and joint areas are really dry, just in case anything gets achy.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    Lindsay, I also wouldn't let him go in in the summer if the zebra mussels are bad, for the simple fact that those shells are razor sharp. I sliced my foot open on a few last summer and it hurt. I can only imagine what it would do to their pads.

As for temperature, I don't imagine that Ender would go in if it was too cold. These dogs are cold water dogs after all. I don't let mine go swimming in January mind, but this time of year if they want in, I let 'em. I just make sure when we get home that I take the hair dryer and make sure their hips and joint areas are really dry, just in case anything gets achy.
    Yes... I'm pretty sure the summer is ruled out but perhaps we can find another lake around here to take him.
    ~Lindsay

We have had Toby in the lake by my house a couple times already this spring. Yestserday was the first time he went "swimming". My husband was throwing his training bumper in the lake and he swam out and got it. He slept so well last night also. It is a lot of excercise and he loves it!!

Oh... I wish Ender didn't have kennel cough right now... I'd be BEGGING you to let us come out and visit.

See ya in two weeks?
    ~Lindsay

Sounds good to me. Whenever Ender is feeling better you guys are more than welcome to come out and play in the water. Toby has a little cough also, but only in the morning. I have never heard him cough at night and doesn't during the day when Mike is home with him. I think he does it now cuz then we give him some water!! He is a tricky fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by tobysmom
    Sounds good to me. Whenever Ender is feeling better you guys are more than welcome to come out and play in the water. Toby has a little cough also, but only in the morning. I have never heard him cough at night and doesn't during the day when Mike is home with him. I think he does it now cuz then we give him some water!! He is a tricky fellow.
    Oh aren't they? Ender will "sneak" a twig or rock or something and only chew on it when he THINKS I'm not looking... so every moment outside is spent watching his jaws like a HAWK!

Ender didn't cough at all all weekend. Only time he does now is when he really pulls on the leash, hence the collar presses on his throat... and he coughs.

Apollo, my mom's lab is the one that is coughing a lot. So who knows... probably just like the human cold it affects everyone differently and has different levels of severity.
    ~Lindsay

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I think you'd be fine to introduce him to the water now, so long as it's just along the lines of - "we're taking a walk by this stuff called water, and if you want to wade in it and sniff it that's cool, if not, that's cool too. "

We did that with Jake when it was cold here, and he'd wade in a bite sticks, which it sounds like Ender likes to do too Then once it's warmer you can wade in with him. But I certianly don't see that harm in letting him explore the water now if he wants to - Jake tried to swim in the lake by my house with ice on it last winter

Good luck and let us know what he thinks!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy