Inhaling Food

Thread: Inhaling Food

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultInhaling Food

Puppy (Simba) is 18 wks. old. We got her last week. The first time I fed her in her bowl, she inhaled her food in about 3.2 seconds! I have NEVER seen a dog eat like this. So I tried something that I read on the board. I put her food on the floor. Now it's gone in about 1.2 mins. Slowed her down a little bit. But holy cow! We "used to" free feed our other dog, but can't do that now, cuz she'll run over there and eat his. I swear this dog eats like she's never eaten before! Any other suggestions as to what I can do to slow her down? She's not getting sick, but she's done before Thunder even gets started.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Inhaling Food

Yup, that's a labby for ya! I no longer feed Sami in a bowl either -- I feed her in a 9 x 11 pyrex glass dish and it's doubled the length of time it takes her to eat. But she still has it all gone in under 90 seconds. I'm quite confident that she never chews. :

Well, thats a Lab for ya. *

Personally, I wouldn't try to slow them down. *No matter what you do, they're geared to EAT and eat FAST. *In my opinion, if you really want to slow her down, you'll need to be doing what ever your going to do to slow her down for the rest of her life. *

If you absolutely want to slow her down, try putting a larger rock in her dish (large enough so she can't eat it), or put a foot or so of large linked chain. *You can try feeding her on a cookie sheet or right off the floor. *

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I wish I had that problem. It takes Toby forever-the full 10-15 mins we leave the food down-to eat. If he eats at all. It is frustrating at times.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

If you want to slow him down, consider putting an empty Kong or even a big rock in the food bowl. I also moisten the food with a little warm water