Pet corrector spray

Thread: Pet corrector spray

janika288 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPet corrector spray

Has anyone used the Pet corrector spray for training? Our trainer suggested it to use when our 11 week old puppy chases our 5 year old Grandaughter and nips at her legs. This really scares our Grandaughter as Maggie's teeth are like needles. She will be coming over today and I will be using it for the first time. It is air in a can that you spray (not at them) when they are doing something such as biting and the noise makes them stop. Anyone try this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Use a shaker can - bleach bottle with a handful of rocks, or gravel in it. Slam it on your leg whenever the dog does something you don't like with an appropriate command such as OFF etc. Your dog will be scared the first time you do it and you shouldn't have to do it to many times after that...

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by janika288 View Post
    Has anyone used the Pet corrector spray for training? Our trainer suggested it to use when our 11 week old puppy chases our 5 year old Grandaughter and nips at her legs. This really scares our Grandaughter as Maggie's teeth are like needles. She will be coming over today and I will be using it for the first time. It is air in a can that you spray (not at them) when they are doing something such as biting and the noise makes them stop. Anyone try this?
    Personally I feel there are some other techniques you could try first. The noise may make your pup frightened to all noises. When your grand daughter is there does she run away from your pup? Does she scream while doing so? if she does your pup may be interpreting this as playing. Pups at 11 weeks are still learning to control themselves, their wee teeth are very sharp. I would have a (long-ish) leash on you pup attached to you so that if you're pup tried to nip or chase your g/daughter you can instantly correct by a tug on the leash and "NO" over time if you're pup begins to ignore you're g/daughter i would try off leash monitoring (make sure (i.e if she walks past and you're pup has no reaction to her make sure you praise and reward. This may be a lengthy way to do it but labs are very smart, they dont take long to learn and you dont run the risk of creating fear of loud noises.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It's a training issue for your puppy AND the grandchild. NO shrieking, no running, no flailing of arms around puppy. Puppy does not understand that kind of behavior and thinks it's an invitation to chase and bite. I agree w/ above-- leash/long line on puppy, or crate if child is running around. Kids need to be taught nurturing skills, and I'd recommend the only time child is w/ puppy is if child is sitting on the floor and puppy is invited into her lap where she can pet the puppy NICELY. Never allow child to pick up puppy as at some point, she will be dropped and potentially injured.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

janika288 is offline Junior Member

Thank You all.