Bo is being overly aggresive
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bo is being overly aggresive

DefaultBo is being overly aggresive

For about 2 weeks Bo has been very aggressive. Barks excessively when told no and starts to bite our hands hard. We have told him no firmly and spanked him but it only makes it worse!!! > He is tearing up our hands left and right. We spank hard but he's a tough little boy!!! We've even tried popping him on the nose......nothing!! PLEASE HELP IF ANY ONE HAS ANY ADVICE. I hate to spank him all the time, but what else should I do? He is 2 months. HELP!!!!! :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bo is being overly aggresive

9 week old lab puppies bite... A LOT. Here's what we did for Ender...

1) Yelp and turn away... if he does it again...
    2) Loud and stern NO BITE... if he STILL does it
    3) gently grab his top jaw and press so his lips get a little taste of those razor sharp teeth saying "no bite" and get up... stop playing with him and ignore him.

Also give him a nylabone or another toy for him to chew on. He will learn, eventually, what he can bite on and what he can't.

We also taught Ender "good kisses"... whenever he licks us we say "good kisses" and now he does that instead of mouthing our hands (or Eric's nose)...

To begin the "kisses"... you might want to try rubbing some butter on your hands. Ender started out licking so we never had to do this.

~Lindsay

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Well, first of all I wouldn't spank him. Second of all two months is 8 weeks old. He's gonna bite. And those little teeth are razor sharp. You need to tell him "no bite" and have a toy ready to put in his mouth. Just redirect his attention. His teeth are just dying to chew and he'll chew the nearest thing. I guess our hands are just the right texture You can get up and leave him when he starts doing it (after saying no bite,) but at that age, he probably will just come after you. Also saying "ouch" real loud will startle him into stopping until you can redirect. Usually you don't have to fake it, it really does hurt. :'( :'(

It'll take a couple more months before he stops being so bitey but there actually will come a time ( we thought it never would get here.) Bailey is five months now and hardly every tries to put her mouth on us and then it's very gently, although we tell her no bite every time still.

You can get some Bitter Apple spray, they usually hate the taste of that, and spray your hands. It wears off pretty fast, though, but they will stop going at your hands. But the best thing to do is say "no bite" and say it consistently.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We say no bite and have a squeaky soft bone ready but he'll chew on it then come back for more hands! I guess we will have to be patient with him till he grows out of it. Thanks for the advice keep it coming if you can

We brought our puppy home at 10 weeks old. boy did he bite. Sometimes by accident his tooth would catch our hands and cut us. I would tell him no bite. When he licked I told him good kisses. Each week he improved. He is now 17 weeks old and barely nips at all. It may get worse before it gets better.

When we picked up our pup from the breeder she said the best thing to do is is say no bite while holding her muzzle(snout) in your hand and make her look up at you. If she is still biting or getting cheeky repeat but also take hold of the back of her neck, like her mama would do, this should calm the dog down. I also keep chewy stuff everywhere and give her that to chew on, we have also taught our two year old son to give her a chew toy when she is mouthing things. It has worked wonders for us!! GOOD LUCK

This sounds really weird but,

Get an old sock or two(preferably the long type)
    Put icecubes it it
    Put the other sock over it and tie it off.
    Then get the sock wet
    And freeze it.

Our boy loved LOOVED chewing on these when he was a baby.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by koabear
    This sounds really weird but,

Get an old sock or two(preferably the long type)
    Put icecubes it it
    Put the other sock over it and tie it off.
    Then get the sock wet
    And freeze it.

Our boy loved LOOVED chewing on these when he was a baby.
    CoCo loves ice cubes, I bet she would enjoy this!
    ~Jo & CoCo

I agree it's not going to help to spank him because he dosn't relate it to what he's doing (why are you hitting my butt when I bite you????) But what I did as recommended above is to give a firm NO BITE and grab the top of the jaw and squeeze the lips in on the side just enough so they feel it but you don't want to hurt him. If you can't get the top just close his mouth with your hand and say NO BITE again. Try to ignore him for at least a few seconds. The yelping works well with some dogs too. The main thing is to be very consistant and stay patient. I know it's hard but they will stop. Most puppies start teething around 4 months and are done around 6 months then it gets much better. During that 4-6 month time though it can be rough it you don't teach no bite when they are young.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Please don't hit a 9 week old puppy :'( :'( :'(

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast