Recall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recall

DefaultRecall

We have no problem inside with the come command. The problem is outside. We keep working on it to no avail. Maybe were doing something wrong but I don't know what. What shall we do. Our boy is 3 years old. We can play fetch in the yard no problem but when it's time to come in and we call him or he get a sniff of something he just doesn't listen. Help what to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Recall

Teach it at short distances on a leash. If he does it inside but not out, he's having trouble generalizing -- a lot of dogs do this. They figure, "hmm, Mom tells me to come in the house, here I come. Mom tells me to come OUT of the house.... Uh...................."

They need to learn that come means come in the yard, the supermarket parking lot, the woods, the baseball field, Mount Rushmore, and the Grand Canyon.

So do you think you can work on come outside and still have him run around and play fetch off leash? I don't want to confuse him but I want him to come. What is also hard is when they start picking up a scent. Man it's hard sometimes to get their nose out of it. I thought maybe he still didn't think of me as his pack leader but inside he doesn't anything I say.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Unless you have a fenced yard, I'd put a lid on the off-leash play until the recall is more solid!

Also the cardinal rule is that you never call your dog to you unless you know they will come to you. That means most of the time you will have to go get him until he has a reliable recall.

You can still play with him off leash but take him some place he will be safe (like fenced backyard, fenced tennis courts or fenced school grounds). Do not try calling him to you when he is off leash in this scenario. You will need to build up to that point gradually but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get exercise in the meantime. When you are ready to go, tell him "last time" When he brings back the ball, praise him, give him a treat, then clip the leash on him. He will understand what "last time" means eventually. Murray will put his ball back in the training bag when I tell him "last time". Last time can be the 2nd or 3rd time I throw the ball or 25 or 30 times.

If you do not have a fenced area, then you really need to keep him on a long line for safety.

When you want to work on recalls, have a long line on him so you can reinforce it.

Recalls take lots of time to teach. My first instructor gave me some advice that stuck. She told me to practice 1000 times in each of the following scenarios (in order):

1) on lead in the house, no distractions
    2) on lead in the park, with distractions
    3) off lead in the house, no distractions
    4) off lead in the park, with distractions

You should also use high value treats for the recall. This needs to be a treat that he doesn't get a any other time. Left over steak or chicken works really well. The only time he gets this treat is when you call him to you.

Also, no matter how trying it may be, never call your dog to you then scold him. Coming to you has to be the best thing in the world. If he comes to you and you scold him, you've taught him that coming to you is not safe.

Once I start teaching off leash recalls, I'll call the dog to me numerous times even during play and give him praise and his special treat then let him go back to playing. I don't want him to associate coming to me with "play time is over"

Lydia - I love how you explain that. That Recall 101 has been on every board we've occupied, and I never fail to admire how clean/clear it is.

And it ALWAYS gets asked. Like my Prong Collar Sermon. We should sticky these so that we can adopt a once-and-done approach. If/when they're asked again (and they always are), just refer to the sticky.....

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Lydia - I love how you explain that. That Recall 101 has been on every board we've occupied, and I never fail to admire how clean/clear it is.

And it ALWAYS gets asked. Like my Prong Collar Sermon. We should sticky these so that we can adopt a once-and-done approach. If/when they're asked again (and they always are), just refer to the sticky.....
    YES YES YES YES YES to the stickying...

We need to make a list... have you guys post them... then give Daniel a heads up that there are multiple posts to sticky. I really hope you guys do this.

Basic Puppy Commands and how to teach (sit, down, stay, drop, etc.)
    Teaching "Come"
    Prong Collars
    Crate Training

~Lindsay

Here's a second to the stickying -- I know I've read this stuff, but if I don't need it at that moment I don't remember it until I read it again. It seems we have many new members since our latest move, so I think that's a great idea!

Sticky...sticky...sticky....

Kristy
    and Lucy

Lovin Hershey Guest

Treats were the key for training Hershey. I can get him to do most anything if I just say "do you want a treat?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast