Waking up too early advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waking up too early advice

DonAnderson is offline Junior Member

DefaultWaking up too early advice

Our puppy Timbre is waking up at 4-4:30 and we let him out of the crate to go out and he immediately pees and poops. Great right? However, he goes back in for a few minutes then starts banging on the door and yipping/barking to come out. I go in the other room and the wife lets him out and stays up with him. Bad habit. Has anyone found putting a sheet to black out the crate calms your pup or gone through this?

Don

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

I would try to ignore the cries as your teaching your pup that if he cries he will get out of the crate. It can be hard but it solves a lot of problems for future. Try the sheet it might help.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

you are going to have to ignore or get used to it. I find it helps when the crate is in your bedroom (sounds like the puppy sleeps in a separate room)?

One alternative but you'd have to keep doing it is take the dog back to bed with you (in bed) haha

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Normal puppy stuff. He has to go potty, and now he's awake and probably hungry. As he grows, he'll sleep in longer, just like kids. I have 2 11 wk olds here from my most recent litter who are on the same 430am schedule so I'm finding I'm getting a lot more done before 7 am once again. I'm just happy they are willing to go to bed before 11pm now! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

My first suggestion is DO NOT get up with the puppy if you are trying to get them used to a different schedule. This is something that they will grow out of, but if you want to get them used to waking up at 7ish try this. First, the pup should be in the crate in the bedroom next to you, this offers them comfort knowing that he can see you, or smell you, and knows you are there. If they are separated from you, they are more likely to whine and bark.

If he wakes up at 4:30, take him out. However, do not speak to him, do not talk to him, do not pet him, do not show him affection. If you do, he will think he has done a good thing by waking you up, and you are now praising him for this behavior. Take him out, allow him to go to the bathroom, put him back in his crate and close the door and go back to sleep.

Do not get mad or frustrated that the pup is awake, as this won't teach him anything. You can try to cover the crate. I used to do this with my boy, because we have a cat, and the cat would stick his hands in the crate and taunt the pup. Just get a big blanket and cover the sides and back. Leave one side open so that a) he can see, b) he can breath and see out. This may calm him down. If not, cover the whole thing, and try that.

Just be sure you don't confine a young puppy to a crate for more hours than their bladder can hold it (rule of thumb is 1 hr for every month of age). You are asking for UTI issues, etc if you do. I would rather people think of raising a pup like that of a baby. They do have needs, and I find they grow up fast enough. I keep mine in a pen w/ a potty pool of pellets, so they can relieve themselves, drink fresh water, etc, thru the night. Have had serious UTIs w/ 2 pups this year whose owners kept them confined in crates for more than a few hours at a time and both incurred some hefty vet bills as a result.

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately, UTI's are usually the owner's fault. People do think that they can get puppies and go to work for 8hours during the day, and the puppy will be fine....unfortunately that's not realistic....

FLEA is offline Member

I concur....My Pup is 7 months and Windycanyon's rule of thumb is spot on. She is kenneled at 10 and up at 5. If I want to sleep later she goes back in her kennel with no fan fare until I am ready to get up. Be patient....you will get there soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    Unfortunately, UTI's are usually the owner's fault. People do think that they can get puppies and go to work for 8hours during the day, and the puppy will be fine....unfortunately that's not realistic....
    Totally agree. Love my ex pen potty pool set up as it's really cut down on those issues. I think the only pups I've had even mild UTIs w/ were those I took for day work trips and was too long between safe stop areas (due to concerns w/ parvo).

Kanzi, my keeper, is now 14 wks old and sleeps from 10 pm to 545am (or should I say she doesn't bark til then!). She is still using the potty pool for piddles but not often at all for solid waste. Life is getting better for us, and hopefully the OP is seeing that light by now too.

jrrsupstateny is offline Junior Member

With our puppy, we kind of shifted her eating and drinking schedule by an hour to help her not HAVE to pee and poo so early. I think after 6pm, we didn't refill her water and food bowl. Her dinner meal was lighter too. HOWEVER, this was in the dead of winter and she was not outside developing a thirst. Obviously, don't deprive your dog of water if they are truly thirsty. It sounds like from windy canyon, UTIs can develop too. But I think it would be silly to let your dog drink a gallon of water right before bed and then expect them to make it through the night. On that note, there is a set of wind chimes hanging next to Edith's water bowl and when she is out of water and thirsty she rings them. We always refill her water when she asks no matter the time. We also took Edith out right before climbing into bed to give her that one last chance to pee and poo before the long haul.

She kind of grew out of the 3am, 4am, 5am, potty breaks. It was much like having a baby who eventually starts sleeping through the night because developmentally they are ready to. To help this developmental process along, we were able to figure out that whining and prancing around in the morning is a Desire to go out while barking is a Need to go out. So we ignored the whining and she would give up an lay back down. Now she will sleep in as late as 8 on the weekends!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast