What's the best shock collar brand
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best shock collar brand

JMC
    JMC is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat's the best shock collar brand

I'm currently looking at Petsafe and Aetertek. I'm not looking to break the bank, and it's mainly for behavior training, not hunting training. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

do you need to go down the shock collar route for training? what other methods have you tried?

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by lablover34198 View Post
    do you need to go down the shock collar route for training? what other methods have you tried?
    I have heard about very good results from training via shock collar. To answer your question, no I haven't tried any other method. Sometimes it's best to just jump right to the best method. I am new at this, so any pointers are greatly appreciated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

personally i like to try positive re-enforcement training which can sometimes take longer but if persistent with it you get good results. What areas of the behavior was the collar aimed to work on? i.e lead pulling? if you give a bit more info people may be able to offer more suggestions to your problems

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by lablover34198 View Post
    What areas of the behavior was the collar aimed to work on? i.e lead pulling? if you give a bit more info people may be able to offer more suggestions to your problems
    My pup (6 months old) tends to play a little rough with my son. He hasn't been aggressive with his bite, but he will bit lightly occasionally. When I get up to correct him, he will growl at me and run away. He does not bite or get aggressive with me, he runs away. When i catch him he submits. I just want to nip the semi-aggressive behavior before he gets really big. He is on pace to be over 90 pounds.

what i did when my pup was mouthing and biting during play was if she mouthed to hard i would scream "OUCH" and leave the room for a few minutes. When i returned i would resume and if the mouthing happened again i would repeat. eventually by ignoring other than saying ouch and praising all the behavior i wanted she got the picture. it does take time, however, with dominance training like a shock collar etc it could swing either way. However that is just my opinion. Do you take you pup to any obedience classes?

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

please do not chase a dog then make them submit. you are creating a very very negative relationship with your dog.

please forget the ecollar and get a trainer. a positive based trainer. either enroll in an obedience class or private trainer. a shock collar is a sophisticated tool and YOU need training before the collar goes near your dog. you do NOT just put it on and hit the button, you must train the dog.

if he plays too rough with your son stop the play (or rather dont start it).
    your son should partiicpate in the training to whatever level his age can allow. sounds like your son is just another puppy to your dog. they should only play approproately. no chasing no wrestling.

if the puppy runs away from you so much it is a sign something has gone wrong in your relationship. that needs to change now. do not use harsh corrections with the dog and scare them. teach your child appropriate interactions with the puppy (stop wrestling and chasing).

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I own a black lab, he is on an agility, trick/precision obedience team, that performs in front of hundreds, sometimes thousands of people. He is highly trained with whistle re-call as well. I could go on and on about his accomplishments, but I'll get right to the point. E-collars are for lazy, irresponsible people. E-collars are designed for dogs in the field...not behaviour modification. By using an e-collar for what you described is simply irresponsible and lazy.

Call me rude, call me mean, I couldn't care less. E-Collars are tools, for experienced handlers and experienced trainers...any professional would completely agree with everything I've just said. You need to teach your dog some simple obedience. By the sounds of it, you are going to put the collar onto your poor dog, and as soon as he does something you don't like, zap him/her. Unfortunately, your dog may stop the behaviour in the moment, but they have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THEY DID WRONG.

Having a dog that competes and shows in obedience, I can tell you the number one, most important things your dog has to have for their owner to be successful. RESPECT, and TRUST. Using an e-collar as you have described above is going to get you no where in the long run.

NOW, if you want to talk about how to train a lovely, well behaved OBEDIENT, off lead dog, I would be more than happy to give you some pointer, and answer and question you have.

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post

NOW, if you want to talk about how to train a lovely, well behaved OBEDIENT, off lead dog, I would be more than happy to give you some pointer, and answer and question you have.
    I'm definitely open to learning how to train without an e-collar. I'm was just looking into the e-collars... didn't say I was getting one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

the best help is a trainer that can show you in person! obedience classes and/or a few at home sessions would do your family a great deal of help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast