what to do
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Defaultwhat to do

ok...soooo when I am trying to read or get something done Buck just comes over and sits next to my chair staring at me...or he tries to put his front paws on my lap and get my attention...how do I get him to go play with his toys or something? Also sometimes I do not know how to entertain him other than letting him sit on my lap and holding his bone so he can chew on it...I also can't watch tv or a movie with him out of his crate cuz he just well he just won't sit still...I hate having to put him in his crate constantly but that is the only way I can have any kind of life... :-\
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: what to do

I'm afraid that's what having a puppy is all about - and it'll only get worse when he reaches adolescence!
    That's one piece of advice I am giving people who tell me they want a puppy... If you value your own time and peace and quiet, don't get one. You have to be alert all the time they aren't in their crate, and they will be all over you most of the time looking for attention! That's what puppies do.

If we're watching a movie or reading or whatever, Rocksy will generally just play with her toys around us... or sleep. We don't like to put her in her crate during the day or evening because she is in there most of the night.
    One thing I would say... don't give into him every time. If he knows he can get your attention just by coming up to you he will keep doing it. There is nothing wrong with ignoring him from time to time if you want to be left alone to watch a movie or something. He should learn that he has to make his own fun and can't always come to you for entertainment.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

How old is your puppy? Ender (13 weeks) does have to allways be near me when he's not in his crate but he's content laying at my feet or sitting next to me on the couch with his head resting up against my arm. (Like he is right at this very second as I type)

Is your puppy getting enough exercise? This REALLY helps with Ender becuase when he's exercised he does just want to sleep near you or chew on a nylabone at your feet. If he hasn't had a walk or some form of play... he will demand more attention.

A tired lab is a good lab!
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

With a puppy, you won't have a 'normal' life for quite some time. *As for other things to do with him, I don't know if this'll help you or not, but here are a couple of things I did (mine's 1 now, and we still play these):

From the day we brought him home, we started with sit, stay, down...just keeping it simple and a few minutes at a time. *Around 12-14(?) weeks, we started playing 'find it', and 'hide 'n seek'. *Labs are used as service dogs, search/rescue, etc., so I wanted to go with his natural instincts, as well as mentally stimulate him. *

Hub would hold him, I'd show him a bone, toy, etc., name it, then hide it (somewhere easy at first, in the same room, then progressively harder, in other rooms). *I'd ask him to find it, and gave TONS of praise when he did. *We also play 'hide 'n seek'; again someone holding him, I hid, then gave a whistle, and he'd find me (easy at first, then harder). *TONS of praise again...GOOD BOY! *GOOD FIND!

Now at 1, I just say 'get up here', and slap my hand on a bed. *He jumps on the bed, I ask if he's ready, and he knows what we're gonna play. *He stays, I hide, give a whistle, and his tail's a waggin' as he searches the house for me. *You can play these outside too.

It keeps him mentally stimulated, is loads of fun, he learned commands using play (this helped him learn stay), he learned the names of things and to differentiate among them, and it tires him out.....and when he goes to sleep, you can get things done. * *

WOW... I want to do that with Ender!!!
    ~Lindsay

Buck just turned 14 weeks today...hmm well since I work during the day he has to stay in his crate but I do come in during lunch and take him out for a potty break and just let him play a bit then it's back to his crate...when I come home at 4 we go straight out for a quick walk...about a 1/3 of a mile...I was told not to take them out on very long walks yet since he is young so we just go 1/3 or 1/4 mile walk...then we come back and just play around the yard work on his basic commands...then he eats his dinner and such and when I am in the shower or something I keep him in his crate...otherwise he is out following me around trying to get me to do something with him...maybe he does need more exercise...I do play the hide and seek game at home...but since my parents won't let him have access to a lot of places in our house there are limited places for me to hide in ...he rarely sits by my chair chewing on a toy or something :P...perhaps I should just ignore him more when I am trying to get something quick done

Hmmm... certainly sounds like he's getting enough exercise... I would try ignoring him... make sure you praise him when he's calmly sitting by you... look at him and tell him what a good dog he is when he's doing the behavior you DO like... (i.e. sitting calmy by you... chewing or sleeping)

BTW... we work as well as go to class so Ender is crated during the day (in addition to the evenings) As for puppies and exercise... rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age. Some puppies need more than others. We usually end up taking Ender on 3-4 short walks per day. He loves them and when he comes home... he curls up and naps.
    ~Lindsay

Ok yeah sounds like ignoring is a good idea...earlier today I was just standing by the table reading the paper and Buck just sat there next to me staring...hehe so I just turned around give him a little pet and wentback to my work...I guess maybe if I slowly reduced the frequency of pettings he will eventually learn to not always expect attention from me...
    Even after a walk Buck won't nap!...unless I send him to his crate he doesn't believe in sleeping haha Actually we just got back from a 5 minute walk...and he just had his dinner and looks like he is falling asleep in his crate...but if I let him out I know he will just play around...I guess he is not very good at realising when he needs to take a break

Dunno if I have said this before...But Ender is an absolutely cutie ;D

We play that game with Bailey. That's Bailey in the picture. He loves that game. He's learned alot. Just yesterday our daughter sent him upstairs to get her slippers and he did it. He only brought one, so she said "get the other slipper" and he went and got. He's amazing. He will also go fetch the newspaper, which is wonderful on rainy miserable day and makes all the neighbors jealous!

Labs, at least Bailey, enjoy having their minds stimulated as well as their bodies. They like to learn and they like to please you. Bailey brought in the newspaper for us this morning and you'd have thought it was Christmas morning, he was so happy about it.

There he is, ready to go for a run with us this morning.

Good dog there, getting the paper. Yep, they like the mental stimulation. When I'm teaching Tucker something new, he gets a different look on his face and perks his ears up and back, trying to understand me.

When he was 6-8 mos. old, I tried giving him a light sack of groceries to carry....he got into the bag and tried running off with the contents. He was too young.

But a month or so ago, I tried again. I came home from the store, popped the trunk, and hub and Tucker came down to the car (we have a front deck, steps with a landing, more steps, then the driveway). I held a light bag, said 'Tucker, take it', put the handles in his mouth...and he carried it up the steps, into the house, and right into the kitchen. It was clumsy and unwieldy for him, and he dropped it once; but picked it up, held his head high so it wouldn't hit the steps, and made it. His tail was goin' a mile a minute. Now every week he has his groceries to carry. If he drops a bag, he'll either pick it up, or get something out of it and carry the one item. He's soooo proud of himself, and loves being in the middle of things, helping! They are amazing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast