1st night home, 1st night alone!!!

Thread: 1st night home, 1st night alone!!!

Default1st night home, 1st night alone!!!

Picked up Brook yesterday. 49 days old! Brought her home and everything seemed fine. That is until it was bedtime! The screams, howls, moans, yips, and barks seemed to last all night. Will this stop? What should we do? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 1st night home, 1st night alone!!!

Keep in mind your darling little puppy is used to sleeping with littermates. All snuggled up with other heartbeats and warmth. In a strangle place with no mom and no brothers and sisters, your pup is going to need to take some time to get used to it.

Here are some things you can do to help your puppy:

A ticking clock can simmulate the heartbeat of mom and other littermates
    A soft radio (My Ender likes Audiobooks such as Da Vinci Code or YoYoMa's Bach Cello Suites) is soothing
    I usually put a kong in the crate with just a dab of peanut butter to give Ender something to do while we calmly get into bed and turn off the lights.
    Put a blanket over the crate making it seem more den-like

Remember, your puppy at 7 weeks old will probably need to go outside to potty every three hours even at night.

Ender cries when we put him back in his crate after a potty break, but after a while he'll settle down.
    ~Lindsay

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

What Lindsay said.

And, yes, it will stop...eventually.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It will end before you know it! *Check out the book "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete for some good potty-training info, as you'll be needing it in the middle of the night. *And keep reading this board and posting as many questions as you can think of -- it got me through those first several weeks!

We had exactly the same problem with Rocksy - and only resolved it by bringing her crate into our bedroom at night based on what I read in a lab book.

After two weeks of sleepless nights, we now sleep all night through - all three of us!
    I know some people don't like to have a dog in their bedroom, but she is never allowed in there during the day, and is only ever taken in and out of the room actually in her crate.
    As far as my experience goes, it was the perfect solution!

Good luck...

We plan to have the crate in our bedroom at night too. Will probably get 2 so we don't have to lug it up and downstairs 2x a day. I don't want to leave him downstairs all alone at night. In my opinion, 1) he's a baby and needs to be close to us 2) I am choosing a breed that wants to be with me. Why force him to sleep in another room?

When Bailey sleeps over, he's on our bed.

Our Tasman was howling and screaming aswell. Advise from our breeder that worked really well was:
    - take her outside make sure she does #1 and #2
    - in the crate
    - turn radio on softly
    - make sure she has some warm and comfy bedding
    and a sheet over the crate seems to help as well
    also we put a thick layer of newspaper in the front of the crate but he
    never did anything in his crate
    - "nite nite" and leave

Tasman did not wake untill 5 am when we did this the first time.
    Oh and make sure you buy some earplugs the crying is just too much for me but ignoring is the best, unless your dog is getting really stressed out then it;s better to have a little look and try to settle her down.

Good luck!

I have had 3 sleepless nights so far with my new friend Buddy and had a couple of questions. First we have a 1 year old little girl so I can not ignore the whinning because I do not want him to wake her up. We have made our wet bar Buddy's home by putting a small bed in one corner, a thick blanket in another corner, his water and food bowl and a couple of toys in there and blocked the intrance with a couple of boxes. We wrapped a clock up and put it in his bed last night and it seemed to help a little. He has a couple of issues that we found out abou since bringing him home from the shelter such as fleas and worms. He is very skinny and will not eat much so I have been leaving food out for him at all times. I put pedealite in his water to help with thickeening his stool. My main question is if this is an ok invironment for him without a crate to keep him from waking my other little one up? Each time he whines I get up and take him out but he does not go potty every time. I guess I really just wanted to let you know my situation and any advice I can get would be great to make sure we give Buddy a good home. He sleeps almost all day to which means he is up almost all night is there anyway to correct that without being mean and forcing him to stay awake. Sorry to ramble first puppy experience.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

KSPuppy... firstly you may want to start your own thread so you'll get more responses.

How old is your puppy?

Where is the "wet bar" in relation to your bedroom?

Labs are people dogs... they LOVE to be in the same room with you and are comforted by the abilty to smell you and hear you breathe. If I were you, I would get Buddy a crate ASAP... if he's full grown, get one big enough for him to walk in, turn around, and lay down... if he's still a puppy... get a crate that will be big enough for him once he's full grown but for now, block part of it so he only has enough room to turn around and lay down. Put the crate in your room if you can... that way you can hear him begin to stir in the night and can take him out BEFORE he starts crying.

A good rule of thumb is that the number of hours they can "hold" it is equal to their age in months plus one. SO... a 12 week old puppy should be able to hold it for 4 hrs. At night, when they are sleeping the same schedule as you, he should be able to hold it for longer. Our 14 week old Ender sleeps from 10:30 pm to 6 am most nights.

You may have to let him cry it out a few nights. What works for us is this... we get all ready for bed and last thing we do is get a kong and put just a little bit of peanut butter inside it... then we go to our room... turn on an audiobook or NPR... put the kong in Enders crate and he goes right in and we all settle down. Now the first night, once he was done with his Kong he did cry a bit but settled down eventually.

Most important thing you can do is make sure your puppy is good and tired before bedtime... take a walk... play some fetch or hide and seek in the house... whatever it takes to get him tuckered out and ready to sleep.
    ~Lindsay

Not sure if this was mentioned. Add something to the crate with your scent on it. Shannon and I took a shower then dried off with the same towel. We let that dry then we added it to her crate. It made a difference.

Ender has given you some great advice, what was said will work...