Pooping in her crate

Thread: Pooping in her crate

Meghan13 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPooping in her crate

Haley has been with is for 7 nights and right from night one she has always let us know when she needs to go outside in the middle of the night. Thursday night she slept all the way through the night with no accidents, but last night (Friday night) she pooped and peed in her crate. I wake up very easily so I know I didn't sleep through her cries (her crate is in our bedroom) the crate size is fitting for her size so I know I didn't give her too much room, and she pooped and peed when I took her outside before bed. Also I don't give her water past 8pm to help prevent accidents

How do I train her to not poo in her crate? Or is this something she will grow out of over time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She peed in her crate again last night...and once again she didn't make any noise to let me know she needed to go outside. She was so good with this the first 5 nights. She is comfortable in her crate now, there is no whining or struggling when it is time to go to sleep, she happily lays down when she is in there so I don't understand why she is eliminating. Again I have the barrier up to make the crate small enough for her (she is still tiny, 7.5lbs) maybe there is too much space on the width. Two puppies her size could sleep side by side, but I have nothing to make the crate smaller in the width, it only came with a barrier to make the length shorter (hopefully this makes sense..) also I cleaned the cage with a puppy enzyme cleaner so she couldn't smell the mess from the night before...
    I was so sad when I saw she had peed again...I really don't know what to do

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

What breed of dog..?
    How old..? this dog has to be super young
    @ 7.5 lbs this can't be a lab can it..? ( not saying anything negative)
    Moses never had an accident ..like wise my last dog prior to Moses was trained in one day
    But in the middle of the night I would get up regardless @ least 2 times to let Moses out .
    I always carried Moses out..
    If the dog had no accidents in 5 might you are lucky
    But @ a young age they pee and poop a lot.
    If you don't want to clean pee and poop..then take her out at least twicw in the middle of the night tell she gets a little older
    Last edited by Jimbo B; 05-04-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She is a pure lab and she is 9 weeks old. I am going to start setting an alarm during the night to bring her out, I just don't get why she doesn't cry to let us know she needs to go out anymore.

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

Since you just got her,
    She just might have been crying ( cause she was away from her litter mates and Mother)..not that se had to go out
    Good or bad I let my dogs sleep with me from day one (but always carried them out twice in the middle of the night)
    Got Moses @ 9 weeks old think he was 17 lb's
    For the first 3 to 4 weeks when I had to got to work..i had someone let him out twice a day (every 4 hours).
    Moses had the whole cage within 3 to 4 days (but you got to let them at least every 4 hours ,,if you don't want to clean poop or pee)
    Good luck with you new pup

That is a good point...I assumed it was because she had to go out, but missing her mother and litter mates makes sense, especially since she has stopped crying at night now. I have my alarm set for tonight...hopefully this helps her get the idea that i will take her out at night if she lets me know. If not, then I look forward to the night many months from now where she can hold it all the way through haha

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new puppy....I miss the days when I could carry Piper around!!!