Putting EVERYthing in her mouth

Thread: Putting EVERYthing in her mouth

Meghan13 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPutting EVERYthing in her mouth

Haley is almost 9 weeks old (I just got her last Saturday) and she is my first lab. I noticed that she likes to put everything in her mouth...dirt, plants, rocks etc. I know puppies do this as a way of exploring the world but I am worried she will swallow a rock or something some day. I am always right behind her getting whatever it is she has in her mouth out, and I always tell her 'No' firmly. How long does this stage last for? Will it stop on its own or do I need to constantly be on top of her? I don't mind now obviously, but I just worry about her doing this when she is bigger and able to go outside on her own to pee

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

this is normal behavior for puppies but you do need to monitor as best as you can, teaching "leave it" from an early age is beneficial to this, however if it continues and you aren't getting anywhere with stopping her some dogs can develop a "pica" syndrome where the like to eat non-food items, (that's just info.....not saying this is the case! don't want to freak you out, haha!) took me a while with my dog to get her to stop picking up everything in sight but once they master "leave it" life gets a bit easier. time scales vary from dog to dog and also consistency in your training.

Meghan13 is offline Junior Member

Ok that's good to know. And "leave it" makes more sense then "no" haha I am going to start on that and hopefully over time she learns

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

teaching commands like leave it are more effective than continually saying no...eventually the dog wont know what no means because it will hear it so often, so have a command for everything such as if you don't want them on the couch and they go up say their name and something like "off" or "down" whatever you want but it allows the dog to know what each command means rather than just a no. But i cant stress how important it is to have everyone in the house use the same commands....otherwise the dog wont know whether its coming or going.! good luck

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

Yes.. leave it is a good command to learn
    This is how I taught Moses ( not that he leaves it all the time),,but sooner or later he will learn.
    He does know what the command means
    When something drops on the floor and I say leave it he does

OK Leave it!!!
    Have one lure treat like a biscuit
    Have a couple of better tasting treats (like jerky)
    Have your dog preferable in the down position (laying down)
    Get on your knees
    Place the biscuit right in front of your dog and say leave it
    As soon as the dog goes for the biscuit QUCIK GRAB THE BUISCUIT.
    Then give her a jerky treat
    Keep doing this saying.. LEAVE IT TO THE LURE BUSCUIT
    Try to make length of time longer too
    Then keep taking the lure biscuit away and give a (small jerky treats) or some treat of higher value then the biscuit

Even when I feed Moses I say (Leave it) he looks at me then I say OK or tap his head then he eats