She's a he?

Thread: She's a he?

DefaultShe's a he?

Ok guys, slightly embarrassing question here, but I have to ask...

Is it completely abnormal for a FEMALE 13-week-old lab to, well, 'hump' some of her soft toys?
    I've caught her at it a few times now, and have been so disturbed that I've actually given her a smack on the butt and told her 'no' (can't really think what word to use after 'no'!).
    My corrections don't seem to be working thus far (it has happened probably four times in the last week or so).

I have read nothing about this behaviour in female pups anywhere, but refuse to believe that my little girl is the only one on earth who has exhibited it.
    Anyone else not too embarrassed to come forward? Please? *:-[

By the way, Rocksy is DEFINITELY all girl!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: She's a he?

Perfectly normal puppy behaviour, male or female. And I'd refrain from a slap here.. if it upsets you, redirect her to another activity.. a game of fetch, tug, whatever.

Thank God for that!
    Thanks.

It's the only thing I've ever smacked her for, and I certainly don't do it hard enough to hurt her. Probably just as hard as her mom did with her paws.
    I know it isn't an appropriate correction, and I won't do it now that I know it's normal behaviour.

It's certainly not something they address in the lab books I've read though! :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Females hump ALL the time.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

They really do tend to do it a lot. One of my mom's girls had a huge fleece bone shaped toy that we called her "girlfriend", and eventually had to hide. We found it about a year later, pulled it out, and Tess humped it again. You never do forget your first love, do you?

Doesn't it have something to do with trying to the alpha or something like that?

Bailey has this huge stuffed teddy bear that he humps. My daughter callx it is B$^$%h. That's the only thing he does that with.

labby is offline Senior Member

dogs don't only hump when they want to dominate. they will also hump when they're excited or just feeling good.

Laura

My dogs(female) did it on my boy's legs when they were going through puberty. And only to my boys, not my husband.* Do they smell the hormones?
    Mischa hasn't done it yet and she is 17 weeks

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Our girl CoCo does this to her stuffed toys and my slippered feet! She did it to my leg today, and all I did was say NO and then gently put her on her back for a bit... if she's going to assert her dominance on me, then I'm going to assert right back! I don't mind the humping, since its normal, just not my leg!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Haha ... I'm so glad I read this because if I saw Kluane do that, I'm sure I'd be feeling disturbed too. Good to know it's normal behavior.

She's never liked the plushy types of toys, and I've never yet seen her hump anything ... though at the park two days ago, a female dog tried to mount Kluane which surprised the owner just as much as me