Night time potty runs

Thread: Night time potty runs

CCDogMom is offline Junior Member

DefaultNight time potty runs

My 11 wk. old puppy makes a potty run at 10 p.m. before bed, and again at about 1 a.m., 4 or 5 a.m. and finally at 6 a.m. when I get up to feed her. How long before she can sleep through the night?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Piper was sleeping through the night by twelve weeks. And let me tell you, I was DANG happy when that happened! Mind you, she went to bed at 7:30 and got up for good at 5:30 but I hate broken up sleep so I'd rather get up early and play then deal with middle of the night stuff. Good luck!

FLEA is offline Member

At 11 weeks this was our routine.....In the crate for 9:00pm, up at 1:00am, back in at 1:05-1:10, up at 5:00ish, out to potty, 5:30am breakfast, out to potty at 6:30am, back in and crated at 7:45ish, I come home for lunch and let her out around noon maybe a little before, back in crate around 12:45 so back in crate until 3:00ish when I get home. Play time, and then dinner at 5:00ish. Water bowl picked up at 8:00pm. LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Our boy was crate trained - some nights he would make it right through the night, other nights he would start whining which meant he needed to go out. We would carry him outside so he would not relieve himself indoors, and allow him to go to the bathroom outside. The biggest thing with this is not interacting with your dog while doing so!!! We would not say anything except for his command to go to the bathroom and then bring him back inside. This way he does not think its play time or time to wake up. We would put him back into his crate and he would fall asleep again until morning.

My boy is 11 months now and sleeps on the bed now...he still wakes up around 7am but sits on the bed until we are awake.

Meghan13 is offline Junior Member

Haley just turned 10 weeks old and we have been setting an alarm twice a night to take her out (she doesn't let us know, and we are in the process of trying to crate train her)
    Two nights ago we started setting the alarm for just 1:30pm so now the routine is: in crate for 9:30pm, up at 1:30am for about 5 min, and up again at 6am, outside for 5 min then breakfast, out again at 6:30am
    So far only going out once during the night is going well! I am going to try stretching the time to a bit later on the weekend to see how that goes. Hoping to be sleeping through the night soon!

Carbajal is offline Junior Member

Defaultflea question

I was going to post today about this very subject. We just bought our second chocolate. He is 7 1/2 weeks old. We had a breeze training our girl now 18mo she only peed in her crate and pooped once when we first got her she was sick from a piece of twig she ate. After it passed and regular nightly potty trips she was fine. Easy to potty trained fully waiting at the door by 12 weeeks. Knew what her keyword was and would come find us if we didn't see her at the door.

Our new boy when we picked him up was not kept in clean conditions. So although we are crate training and getting up at night he is still pooping where he sleeps inside his crate. He will lay in it and get it everywhere. I am assuming its cause he lived in his own waste not cleaned often. Any suggestions this is very frustrating. He keeps going in his crate I clean and the next night he repeats.

Thank you very much.

Jenn

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carbajal View Post
    I was going to post today about this very subject. We just bought our second chocolate. He is 7 1/2 weeks old. We had a breeze training our girl now 18mo she only peed in her crate and pooped once when we first got her she was sick from a piece of twig she ate. After it passed and regular nightly potty trips she was fine. Easy to potty trained fully waiting at the door by 12 weeeks. Knew what her keyword was and would come find us if we didn't see her at the door.

Our new boy when we picked him up was not kept in clean conditions. So although we are crate training and getting up at night he is still pooping where he sleeps inside his crate. He will lay in it and get it everywhere. I am assuming its cause he lived in his own waste not cleaned often. Any suggestions this is very frustrating. He keeps going in his crate I clean and the next night he repeats.

Thank you very much.

Jenn
    Just a few questions to help with possible solutions...what kind of crate is your puppy in? How big is it? The reason I say this is that usually Labs don't want to go to the bathroom in their crate. If they have lots of room in the crate they are more tempted to go to the bathroom in it. Usually Wire crates come with a divider so that you can make it significantly smaller and keep moving the divider back as the puppy grows giving them more room. The smaller the space, the less tempted they will be to go to the bathroom in their bed.

Another thing to ask you would be at what time is your puppy's last meal/water? My puppy would get three meals a day but the last one was earlier so he had time to go to the bathroom and "empty" himself before bedtime. Also, make sure you take the puppy out right before bed and make sure they go to the bathroom.