puppy will not listen!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: puppy will not listen!

Defaultpuppy will not listen!

I don't know what to do! Divot is 17 weeks old and she just will not listen when there are distractions around. She is fine when we are in the house, but when we are outside she wanders and will not come when I call her. I don't know how to get her to listen. Not only is it annoying, but for her own safety I don't want her to be wandering and not coming back when I call her. Any suggestions???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: puppy will not listen!

Whenever you are outside, keep a check cord on your puppy so that you don't have to worry about her not coming when called. They come in various sizes from 15ft up to 100ft.

Dogs do generalize very well, so if they only place you have worked on training is in your house, that is the only place your pup will know to listen to commands. Work with her outside as much as possible and start from the beginning. Keep the training sessions fun and upbeat. If you feel yourself getting frustrated with your pup, stop the lesson and do something fun like fetch to lighten the mood. Also keep these sessions short. Anything over 10 min is too long for a pup her age.

totally agree with the check cord idea above--it's completely normal for them to be very distractable at this age!
    think about it, they haven't been on Earth very long, and have a short attention/retention span, like a 2-year old human child at best.
    every noise, smell, sight, puff of wind is overwhelming their senses with input. could you study Einstein sitting under a jet engine blast?
    in fact, if they weren't very distractable, i would question their intelligence, lol!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Tagen said:
    Dogs do generalize very well,
    What was intended was to say Dogs do NOT generalize very well,

I agree with the other comments.* But you don't have to buy a special, dedicated expensive check coprd/long line.* Just go to Lowe's or a hardware store and buy a length 25', 50', etc. whatever works best for your situation. Buy a snap hook to tie on one end to clip to the collar.

Other suggestions:*

1. Enroll in a good* obedience course.* That's NEVER to train a pup -- it's ALWAYS to train each owner in HOW to best train their pup.

2A.. And/or buy a good book on training* such as "Culture Clash"

2B. Read the book

2C. Do what the book says.

3. Use some special surefire treats for those special, urgent "Come!" commands -- like nickle-size slices of hot dogs, sprinkled with garlic powder, and nuked in the microwave just enough to set the GP.* Or use AQnimal Crackers.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

but for her own safety I don't want her to be wandering and not coming back when I call her.
    Do not leave her unattached to you until she learns! Do you have a fenced in yard? If not, all the more reason.

Good luck

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Keep being consistant ... she needs time to grow

A really good book to read to help you understand your dog is Patricia McConnell's 'The Other End of the Leash'. Your pup is getting to that independent/testing age. When you call her make it fun - while you are calling her bow down a bit and turn your body away from her, clap your hands and take a few running steps away from her. It will be like a game of chase. When she comes to you do something fun - give her a treat, toy, etc. so she thinks coming to you is the best.

If you do a lot of off leash work, finding an ecollar trainer could be a good idea.

Teach while you are at home, enforce those taught commands when you are out. The more places and the more often you can practice these commands the more cosistent he will behave. As others have said; keep the lesson short and keep him on a check cord so that you can enforce the commands.
    Be realistic in your training, he will grow up quick enough. Make sure you enjoy him while he is a puppy and keep it fun.
    Mike

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

OOh I get to be the first one to do this!!

<<ahem>>

See the 'Recall Training Tips' in the OUR BEST ADVICE sticky....

Hey, that was cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast