Biting!

Thread: Biting!

ceset Guest

DefaultBiting!

Hi everyone. First of all thanks to everyone who has answered my other posts - you are all so helpful!!

So, we've had Cody 2 weeks today (he'll be 11 weeks on Tuesday) and we're doing pretty well with crate training and a few basic commands (he's awesome at sit and getting there with come and down and stay).* The only big problem we've been having so far is the biting - it's out of control!

I was hoping someone could elaborate on the yelping versus "no bite" - do you use them both or only one? We started out using yelping and ignore but Cody would either just bite the back of my ankles when I turned around or seem not to care that I was ignoring him.* Then we started to try "no bite" combined with putting a toy in his mouth but he totally ignores the command and will just keep coming at you biting you.* I feel like I'm just saying "no bite" 20 times and getting nowhere. Help!

Also, sometimes when I am bending down to pick up a toy or something Cody will come running over and jump up like he's trying to bite my face - it's scary!* This is normal puppy jumping behavior right? (I hope!)

Thanks!
    chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Biting!

i don't think he's trying to bite your face. my girlfriend has a 3 month old Daschund mix and a 2 month old Toy Poodle and they used to do the same thing. when i sat on the couch and put them on my lap they would try to jump up and climb my shirt and it looked like they were trying to bite my face, but i put my head lower and they ended up licking me like crazy. i guess they just had their mouths open because they wanted to reach my face so badly. i don't know if Cody's the same way as my girlfriends dogs or if he really IS trying to bite your face. maybe he needs more toys? hopefully someone can give you better advice.

My 10 week old Lab is really bitey aswell. They say it will pass but with twinboys (4 years old) in the house you need to take action now. So when the biting starts he is usually very excited and I take him outside in the garden. I also do controlled games with my boys, where we stand far apart each have treats and call him towards us, the SIT and treat. It wears him out and he is a lot easier to handle after that. Inside (when I cannot leave the house) I will crate him for 5 min., he bites I say "no bite" in his crate for 5 min. and then start again. He wil quicklu figure out that biting will mean no play.
    Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Cooper is now 10 months old, but I remember as a baby he went through a phase when I thought the biting/nipping would never stop. As someone else mentioned, it's probably due to an overabundance of excitement and energy coupled with attempted domination. Here's what works for us...

As SOON as your pup's teeth touch your skin, in a very LOUD, stern voice say, "AHH" - it's almost like a grunt. Our trainor offered up this advice. Something about that noise distracts most dogs. At the same time you make the noise, position yourself dominantly in relation to the dog. For example, if you're sitting when he nips at you immediately say "AHH" and stand up - if he jumps at your when you stand up, gently knee him back and off. Then, walk away - give him a 2-3 min. break and return to his presence. It takes repetition, but EVERYTHING does w/ labs...do this enough and your pup will learn!!

When Toby was that little, I would hold his snout gently but firmly and say, "No Bite." After many repetitions of this, he just stopped. Now when he gets all worked up playing, we just say "No Bite!" and he will get a soft toy to bite on.