"No Bark" Collars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "No Bark" Collars

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Default"No Bark" Collars

Molly is a big time barker!

She barks for attention, she barks if you leave the room...i'm convinced she barks just for fun. We were looking into some of the no-barking collars and I'm pretty lost.

There's the citronella spray collars, and the shock collars (not sure if she's too small for one of those).

We used an electric collar on abby with some issues she had (running away and not coming when called) but we had a trainer to help us use it properly luckily we no longer have to use it because it was a last resort that I didn't totally agree with.

We've been doing the whole hold mouth shut say "no bark" for over a month and half and now she just barks while you have your hand on her mouth.

Suggestions on what you think of the no bark devices out there would be much appreciated
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: "No Bark" Collars

hi!

Your question is what you think of these devices, I am sorry but I don't like the shock collars, my feeling is if you love your dog why do that to her? Why not try a more positive way like trying to teach her to bark on command? I am also a member of www.clickersolutions.com they have heaps of info on these particular problems and have a lot of trainers on their forum as well. That said I think if you use these collars in a sensible way they will probably do the job.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmans Mom
    hi!

Your question is what you think of these devices, I am sorry but I don't like the shock collars, my feeling is if you love your dog why do that to her? Why not try a more positive way like trying to teach her to bark on command? I am also a member of www.clickersolutions.com they have heaps of info on these particular problems and have a lot of trainers on their forum as well. That said I think if you use these collars in a sensible way they will probably do the job.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the link! I'm checking it out right now.

I would prefer not to use the shock collar either thats why I was hoping to find a much better solution. The one we used on abby had a tone and different shock levels...I personally tested in on myself before I would put it anywhere near her.

Molly is a challenge, I thinks she just needs some tough lovin'
    *Stacey*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hopefully you'll be able to get some useful information from the link above for your lil' stinker

Tasman ~ Please don't suggest that people who decide to use collars don't love their dogs. I don't use one, but I don't assume that someone who has done everything necessary on how to use one properly cares about their dog any less than I do.

I do not suggest that at all. I was just hoping it's one of thise last resort methods. I am 100% positive everybody in this forum wants the best for their dogs and try to suggest a different solution first.
    I have absolutely no intention to insult anybody, sorry if I did.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Jacob is a barker...we taught him "speak" and then "NO speak." We also employed a squirt bottle full of water mixed with vingar that we spray in his mouth if/when we say "NO speak" and he does anyway.

We didn't want to use a shock/spray collar b/c we wanted to give one correction to remind him before he got sprayed. With the spray/shock collar, if he/she barks, he/she gets sprayed. With my method, if Jacob barks, we say "NO bark" (if apropriate: we want him to bark if a stranger comes to our door). If he doesn't comply, his next bark gets a spray in the mouth.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma to J and A
    Jacob is a barker...we taught him "speak" and then "NO speak."* We also employed a squirt bottle full of water mixed with vingar that we spray in his mouth if/when we say "NO speak" and he does anyway.

We didn't want to use a shock/spray collar b/c we wanted to give one correction to remind him before he got sprayed.* With the spray/shock collar, if he/she barks, he/she gets sprayed.* With my method, if Jacob barks, we say "NO bark" (if apropriate: we want him to bark if a stranger comes to our door).* If he doesn't comply, his next bark gets a spray in the mouth.
    That's a good one Jenn!!!

I know we have an extra squirt bottle around so this shouldn't be too hard
    *Stacey*

Jenn!!! Thank you so much for the suggestion.

I put it to work this morning and I think she's catching on
    *Stacey*

I was at the dollar store this morning and grabbed an extra squirt bottle for vinegar & water, just in case.....

Although Miles mother, Jenna, is not a barker. None of my breeders dogs bark much, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. They are all different...

just to be clear--the 'bark' collar is NOT what most mean when they refer to ''ecollars' or 'shock collars'.
    the bark collar is a simple device costing less than $75 new, which is strictly [only!]activated by the vibrations of the bark. thus there is no confusion on the part of the dog as to what the cause & effect is. most dogs learn within 5 barks that barking = ''mosquito bite sensation' and thus teach Themselves to not bark.
    an ecollar or shock collar is human activated and has all the problems inherent in that process--same as a squirt bottle or any other thing that requires you to be present & take action. the dog may quickly learn not to bark when you're present, then ''make up for lost time'' when you're not. in addition, because we are not perfect, our timing when giving the shock/squirting/correcting however can be woefully poor, giving the dog the feeling of ''huh?'', sooo totally not fair and in no way helping with the barking, either!
    many dogs end up in pounds becuse of chronic barking problems, [angry neighbors, etc], so please don't minimize this as a ''little'' problem. for the dog, it can literally be life-threatening.
    i MUCH prefer to see a true bark collar used in these situations, it is both humane & foolproof, and lets the dog make the decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast