Training New Puppy with older dog.

Thread: Training New Puppy with older dog.

howaboutjennifer is offline Junior Member

DefaultTraining New Puppy with older dog.

I have 2 labs a Black lab that is a little over a year old, and he got into a little trouble, ended up with children, one was chocolate, so we decided to keep him, he is now about 3 months old and I'm having troubles with training, or correcting behavior with the other dog around.

For example trying to train appropriate chewing is being difficult because when i take whatever it is that hes chewing on away from him and try to replace it with something appropriate the older dog comes and takes it away. I say its an only child syndrome, but I'm not sure what to do about it, if i grab a treat to reward the puppy for doing something i have to have the older dog do something as well or hes trying to grab the treat out of the pups mouth.

Any advice on how to handle this situation, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had these kinds of problems, would be very helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

sounds like the older dog needs as much training as the puppy. have multiple toys so you can give each dog a toy and correct the older dog for stealing toys (gently correct!)

hopefully the older boy is now neutered to avoid more accidents.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The older dog is neutered, the female we lived with went into heat about 2 weeks before his appointment, we don't live in the same town as our family vet, so it requires vet visits to have a little more planning.

I try to only positively reward especially with behaviors like that, I'm just not getting the opportunity where he is showing any kind of correct response to me giving the puppy anything, if you could be more specific on how to correct, that would be great. and thank you for responding

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i'd say train apart and if you take the contraband away from the pup, make sure it's really away (like in the garbage, or in your hand), and yes, i would then tell the dog, "mine" and give him something that is his.