Crate Training Troubles

Thread: Crate Training Troubles

DefaultCrate Training Troubles

i adopted a 7 month old lab (Koda) 2 weeks ago and i've been continuing his crate training for about 1 1/2 weeks now. i put treats, a few kibble bits, and toys in the crate so he could associate good things with the crate. the only time he would go in his crate was when i put treats in there. i crate him for about 4 or 5 hours from 12:30 PM to around 5:00 PM. now he wont go in his crate. i put treats and a stuffed kong near the back of the crate but he can still reach them and leave his legs outside of the crate so i can't close the door. also, when i leave the room he walks into the crate and plays with the kong, but when i walk back into the room he walks back out. i guess he thinks i'm going to close it on him. did i crate train him too fast or does he just not want to be alone? do you guys have any advice on what i should do? do i have to crate train him all over again? what would be the best technique to train him? thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Crate Training Troubles

Lola kinda does this too.

When we're going to be, ZIP, she's right in there turns around a few times and plops down. Although if we try and crate her for any other reason, she thinks she's going to jail or something.

I personally think it's because she doesn't want to be alone. She barks like mad when we crate her at anytime but bed time. Your pup is probably the same. Doesn't want Mommy to leave him alone.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck cries and whines when he is in his crate and he sees me...so I always have to crate him and make myself scarce...and if he still cries and whines I ignore it especially if I know he just went to the bathroom and he usually settles down within 5 mins...
    One way to make him like the crate could be to just feed him his meals in there...that's what I do with Buck and he really doesn't mind go into his crate...it's only when he sees me walk by that he wants out...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i try to feed him in his crate, but he can still reach the food and have his legs outside of the crate so i can't shut the door. what are some ways to teach him how to walk inside his crate by himself (without having to lure him in there with treats)? how do you guys get your labs in their crates?

When not going to bed?

Lure her with a treat.

at any time of the day. i try to lure him in with a treat but he can still reach it while having his legs outside of the crate. i think Koda has lost his trust in his crate. how do i get his trust back?