how often?

Thread: how often?

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Defaulthow often?

Buck has been fairly good about letting us know when he's gotta go...and it seems like he has to go about every 1 hour or so when he isn't in his crate...he is just two days shy of being 14 weeks old...my question is...do they have to go this often when they are older? Or do they just hold it longer? or do I have to train him somehow that he gets to go out only a certain number of times? My co-workers say they only have to let their dog out to do their business maybe 3-4 times a day...of course they are older dogs...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: how often?

A puppy has a small bladder and will need to go very often. A rule of thumb is that they CAN hold it for # of months old plus one. So a 12 week old puppy should be able to hold it for 4 hours.

But keep in mind that "holding" it while confined to a crate and holding it while doing activites around the house are two seperate things. In general a puppy will do it's best not to soil where he/she sleeps so in a crate they will try to hold it as long as they can. When they have free run of the house, they might go soil in a "remote" area.

While they are sleeping at night, they can sometimes hold it for longer.

Ender, my 12.5 week old pup can go 7 hrs at night some nights. During the day, when he's crated he can last at least 3.5 hrs (haven't tested longer than that)... but when he's "loose" we constantly supervise and when he shows any signs of needing to go out, we let him out. He will also need to go soon after doing any of the following... playing, eating, drinking, getting up from napping.

In general... we probably take him out every hour when he's loose and awake in the house. Hope this helped you out.
    ~Lindsay

Lindsay is right...with me working Beau used to amaze me at how long he could hold it in his crate during the day. I would have to be very concious of him while I was home and he was out playing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We normally take our dog Tasman out every 1,5 hour when he is at home. I DO already keep a really good eye on him though and try to read him. When he is in his crate he has no problem to hold it for 2.5 hours. I don't feel I can crate him much longer for that during the day. At night he is able to hold it for 8 hours.

Completely typical puppy behavior. Also, just a note, our dog, Kimba, matured very slowly and asked to go out often when he was free in the house until about 9-10 months of age, now he will wait about 5 hours like a normal grown up dog. I just wanted to add that bc we felt there was something wrong with Kimba bc everyone told us at his age 5,6,7 months he should be waiting a long time. Don't get frustrated if this happens.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

hey I don't mind if he is asking to go out...but I still keep a very very very close watch on him when he isn't in his crate because I dont trust him yet :-p...I was just making sure it's normal that he asks to go out so often
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3