The wonderful crate

Thread: The wonderful crate

DefaultThe wonderful crate

As much as I hate making new threads and cluttering up the forum...

So we've had Lola for 3 weeks now. She 10 weeks now I believe (I need a calender in front of me) She goes into her crate and sleeps just fine. Provided we're in the room.

When we crate her to have a shower (Shower together! Save water!) She won't shut up! Whining wouldn't be bad but she's barking now. a VERY stern(and kinda loud) NO BARK stops the barking although she keeps crying. 15 seconds after we leave she's back at it.

Is this just separation fear? Will it get better over time? Anything else I should be doing to curb this?

When I am home on my days off I'll crate her through out the day when I need to and sometimes when I don't in hopes of getting her out of this habit. If I stay in the room with her for a while she's quite when I leave.

The other thing I wanted to find out about was her crate size. Admittedly it's too big. I got it from a friend for $20 (which beats the $140 or so I saw it for new) It will be fine when she's full grown (There's about a half foot between her butt and the back of the cage right now and about a half foot above her head right now). Although now it is too big. I have tried to make it smaller. She just chews up the divider.

Will I see any issues when she does grow into it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The wonderful crate

LOL.... Yes I agree, showering together is environmentally friendly!

If she's NOT using the bathroom in the crate, I wouldn't worry too much about the size. We took CoCo's divider out because she kept trying to climb over it, and she hasn't had an accident since then, so we're leaving it!

As for the crying, I bet a kong with a pat of peanut butter smeared on the opening would keep her quiet!

In my experience. ignoring her barking is the best option. Don't let her out until she is quiet. CoCo only tried this a few times, but she's good now! ;D
    ~Jo & CoCo

Wellllllllll.......... I think she has piddled in there. When we first got her we put in my old Blue Jay's blanket. Apparenlty she's not a Jay's fan and peed on it withing 10 min. Every time we put it in there she peed on it. So she has gone in there before.

Although once she's bigger I don't foresee her piddling like that.

LOL and I have a freak Dog. We tried the kong with the PB and kibble. She loves the kibble. She licked the PB once and then buggered off. Anything else you guys can suggest? I was thinking Cheesewiz. I really don't have a lot of creamy speads like that in the kitchen. What about a piece of cheese? I can cut one and wedge it in there. I think she likes cheese.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Not sure about cheese whiz... I don't think a small bit of cheese is a problem. Some people recomment plain yogurt & cottage cheese (not as a sealing mechanism obviously)... A baby carrot wedges well into the bottom smaller hole.

Oh, and she may pee on the Jays blanket because she can smell her pee on it... they can smell things we can't! Not sure what can get the smell totally out though... perhaps Nature's Miracle brand (avail at pet stores) cleaner?

Or you can try a Maple Leafs blanket... but that might induce vomiting... :
    ~Jo & CoCo

I would take the blanket out, I know it sounds harsh but Mocha actually prefered laying on the plastic.* This way if they go potty they have to lay in it (yuck I know) the blanket absorbs it so they will go where they sleep if they don't have to lay in it.* If she stills goes in there then you need to find a way to make it smaller maybe a wood divider.*

As far as the barking you really need to just totally ignore her.* Even going into the room shows her that barking works it gets your attention and you come to her even if you don't let her out.* If it gets excessive I'd get a spray bottle and squirt her in the face and give a no bark and leave right away but only if she just dosn't stop.* It will only get worse and she will bark even longer if you eventually go to her while she's barking.* They are smart little buggers.

I forgot to add that you can use cheez wiz in the kong just don't give too much or it may give her gas or soft poo. Some dogs do better than others with cheese but most love it. The yogurt is good, banana's are ok ( again in moderation), apples, baby carrots, mashed potatos, mac & cheese...ect.

Ignore her with the barking and whining because sooner or later she'll figure out that when she barks or whines you'll come into the room and talk to her; and shes a puppy, any sight of a human is comforting to her. What helped with the barking for us was throwing in a giant stuffed animal. I mean double maybe triple his size. It was a comfort object, much like stuffed animals are with human children.

Definitely take the blanket out. If she's peed on anything i would get rid of it because puppies tend to pee in the same spot/ area over and over. (If your worried about her sleeping on the plastic in the crate you could go get a mat, but chances are she'll just chew that up since shes a puppy.) This is where the giant stuffed animal came in for us again, it helped eliminate koa's peeing in his oversized dog crate.

I love your pictures of koabear dancing.

Oh yeah, the blanket is gone. She did it as soon as we got her so we thought it was a "HOLY CRAP WHERE AM I?" Momnet. When we put it back in there she peed again and that was the end of that. We washed it a few times and then put it on the crate as a cover. It has since died a horrible death to my puppies machine like jaws.

Ok so Cheese Wiz is ok in smal amount. I just need to find something she will eat that will plug up the bottom of the kong so she has to work.

That's for the confermation on just leaving her. When your in the shower and can hear her going at it, it drives you a little crazy. I hope she picks up on the whole "No Bark" thing soon.