Confused and Ashamed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused and Ashamed

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

DefaultConfused and Ashamed

I am ashamed .. I think Moses might have a bad streak.

Moses does not like to be corrected .

Example..

Moses chews on the carpet..

When I say no or AH-AH

He runs around.. lunges @me barks and bits/.nips; ( I HATE /DISPISE/DO NOT LIKE THIS BEHAIOR)

None of my other dogs ever acted like this

iT is impossible to control @ this time.

Impossible to pin down too

If you ignore things get worse

Not sure if I need to leave the room and let him destroy things or try to catch him and give him a time out.

Next week 2/26/14 Moses will get neutered @ 7 months

When Moses as 4 months I spoke to the vet about this (Moses behavior)

Vet said he was testing me or treating me like like a play mate

When Moses finished puppy class ( Moses was the best @ training)..

There is a difference between Training and Behavior.

In December I did a search for Dog behaviorist in my area

When a called and spoke to someone on the problem

They said Moses had Adolescent Obstinate Behavior. And they would come to my house for 300 dollars and correct this in 2 to 3 hours,they said Moses is taking advantage of my good nature( (not that I am saying I have a good nature it is what they told me)

When I spoke to my trainer for puppy class Moses was just going to finish up

All the pups and folks love Moses @ puppy class..

Stated i was glad Moses had gone to this class ..but then questioned the trainer on my call to the Behaviorist

Stated that nothing against current training but there is a difference between ..training and behavior

Trainer told me

That the behaviorist I spoke too she replaced @ one of her jobs (that the behaviorist) was let go because he did not come through on her promises

Told me she thought Moses was fine just keep working with him,,and give him time outs.

Time outs did work for a while

Then went to beginner class

have 3 more classes to go through.

Moses has been acting up again ( Lunging biting etc,when I correct him)

I FEEL SO BAD ALONE confused AND ASHAMED WHEN THIS HAPPENS

Have a PRIVATE with a different trainer March 1 st

Then Moses starts an adult clas March 19th

Moses is my life

He is getting more exercise then ever

More love then ever

ANY SUGGETIONS ARE WELCOMED

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover34198 is offline Senior Member

I can totally empathize with you with regards to this behavior! My lab honey went through this between the ages of 4-6.5-7 months! The first time it happened i was so confused and worried that she had a nasty streak. It only happened when I had to tell her off for doing similar things. I had a personal trainer and i asked him about it, and he said also she was just testing the boundaries and his advice was to stay strong and continue to show her I was the boss.

When honey had her "mad times" I would go like a tree, as i felt the more i responded the more she would go wild. If i tried to catch her she would get excited etc. So as hard as it was i stood completely still. Eventually the spells of this behavior became less and less as she realized it wasn't getting any response even a negative one. Since December honey hasn't had any of this behavior(touch wood!!!) I don't know if this will help but I definitely think moses is just testing you like honey tested me but honey is not a bad dog, she is so loving and I think now that she knows ultimately i'm the boss she has accepted her position in the house!

Hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

Hey Lablover
    Thanks..you made me feel a wee bit better
    Sometimes I am dense ...and need exact (how to)

If I stand still... and wait till things blow over..
    Do I act like nothing happened .?
    Do I give a time out..?

What happens after you stand still..?

Again will have a PRIVATE LESSON soon 3/1/14..
    But want to make sure I don't go crazy till then or snap out

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hey, what i did was as soon as that behavior started i would freeze on the spot, and i didn't move or speak until it stopped. eventually after what seems ages!! honey would sit down and look at me, once she sat for a wee while i would then praise for her sitting. I did that rather than discipline as I wanted honey to realize that behaving well (i.e sitting) and acting how I've trained her to act she gets my attention but when she is crazy she gets no response at all.
    And repeat as necessary! it was the hardest part of her behavior to date to deal with! So i know how hard it is to stay calm! also if he does it to anyone else tell them to do the exact same.

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

I am sure you will get some great advise from way more knowledgeable people than me-just wanted to say hang in there-some days suck but it will get better, I'm sure. Piper doesn't respond well to chastisement either (she likes to countersurf) so I try not to put her in a position to get in trouble. When she does I say no in a very firm voice, make a frowny face at her and walk away. Then she feels bad and tries to suck up...I don't know if that's the right way to do it but at least she has sad face and acts remorseful vs being all lungy at me!

jjkroell is offline Member

Great advice you're getting here.. I want to reinstate what already has been said here. DO NOT focus on the negative behavior!!! I know it's hard but but just IGNORE the puppy when she starts acting up. Think of the pup as a child, they will push and test the boundaries with the people who are in authority positions.. it's natural! It's the same type of behavior!
    If you punish the pup after she calms down and sits, it's too late!! The pup will think she is getting punished for 'being good' which is not even close to what you want.

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

Thanks to all... this is a BIG weight lifted off my shoulders
    Something I have been carrying for months

I see...positive signs
    By... standing still. Ignoring Moses .till the hissy fits ends and then l praise him when he clams down.
    Sometimes he goes to another thing to chew when a stand still..
    But he his not lunging ,barking and biting (which is priceless)
    I know he is NOT nasty now.

BTW.
    At Moses beginner class yesterday ( he has 2 more to take)
    I asked the 2 trainers the same thing.(before read the comments in JL)
    One said time outs..
    When I said it is hard to catch him..the other trainer suggested a TAG on the collar ( didn't know what a tag was it is like a mini leash )

Moses has a private next week with a new facility.
    Will take a pen and paper .and have questions to ask

Thanks again JL
    If helps when someone had the same problem with their lab and the advise is shared

Will let you know how things are gong next week

lablover..you honestly gave me some peace of mind (thanks )
    It meant the world to me that you shared your experience.. with Honey ( i needed to hear something positive)
    When i tried this on Moses..over the weekend ,,it worked beautifully..
    The first time ..i did stand still for say 2 minutes that seemed like 2 hours,,and he settled down...then i praised him.
    Then each time over the weekend.. when i would have to correct hin ..Moses immediately stopped..DIDN'T even have to stand still. HE SETTLED RIGHT AWAY... ( really was happy and thought this is too good to be true)

Well This morning 2/24/14..Moses had a BIG (hissy fit) ..
    I corrected him..
    Then stood still.. (my big mistake was i did not protect myself..i had my hands down by my side)
    Moses was nipping @ my hands so hard..then harder,, and pulling in my shirt sleeve so hard he almost ripped my sleeve .. next time i know to keep my hands folded by my chest.. just hope he does not bite my butt
    Needless to stay.. i could not stand still (those NIPS HURT) .....did not hit Moses.. but i did pin him down..Moses knew i was not to happy..i was (P.O)

Your .. right it is the HARDEST thing so far
    I do plan to (stay still) in the future..and it is good advise
    If you have any other comments/tips let me know..
    Other thing i notice (over the weekend) ..when i stood still ..Moses might divert his attention from chewing on the rug to a chair ..example.. Moses is chewing on a carpet i correct him.stand still ..,,he did not bark of lung @ me.. but then went to a chair and started to mouth the chair .i would correct him again then he seemed to settle

But this morning..(took the cake)

Just goes to show you ,,they know right from wrong.. they just want to be defiant BRATS @ times

Again have a private lesson on 3/1/14..(which i will post the outcome)
    It might not be right for all.. but it might help some..

Do wish. more folks would post their experience with trainers..or share their knowledge on this subject too..

Badlands is offline Junior Member

Sorry if this was recommended and I missed it, but when these situations are happening, and you are standing there ignoring your pet's negative actions, DO NOT look at the dog, or allow it to see your eyes. Our eyes are one of a dog's greatest clues as to how we are feeling and reacting. That is also true of our facial expressions and our voices, of course.

A pup working on dominance (which is natural) wants to see our faces, to validate that its actions are working. Simply look away, and deny that access to your soul and thoughts. To a dog, being ignored is a silent form of discipline, and it's something they readily understand. As you stated, you've already seen evidence of this.

All the tips the others gave are excellent, and this challenge will come to pass. Wishing you great success!

Hi Jimbo B, Glad that hearing from me has giving you some peace of mind. Those hissy fits are a nightmare, in fact one time honey did rip one of my tops, luckily i don't wear my good clothes when im just in the house!! one of the hardest things i dealt with also was getting everyone else to understand my logic on standing still! and getting them to do the same if necessary!

I cried so many times over this behaviour as i thought i had failed and I had a bad dog, but you will get there! slowly but it will happen!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast