Crate training question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate training question

DefaultCrate training question

First I am glad to have found this site. This is my first lab experience and first time with a young puppy. I have a question on crate training. Prince actually does quite well in the crate, but during the week he has to go through a really strange schedule.

We work different schedules; I work a set schedule from 8-4:30 which means I usually leave the house by 7:30. Prince's other daddy ;D works in the motel business and so works almost any schedule. This morning we both happen to be working morning shifts. I am usually up at 5:30 and will take Prince out to potty about 6. He then goes back in his crate and will have to stay there until about 3:30.

Is this bad for him? Do I need to let him stay out longer? He whined some when I put him back in crate, but I did not go back in there. He did quiet down before I left, though. I want to make sure I do this training right. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate training question

How old is Prince?

The general rule for crating is 1 hour per month of age plus 1... so a 3 month old puppy can be crated for UP TO 4 hours...

6:30-3:30 is 9 hours in a crate.... That's pretty long even for an older dog. You should definitely have someone let him out around 11:00 at the least, plus is you are feeding 3x per day he'll need his mid-day meal... although whoever lets him out can give him that in a Kong when he goes back into his crate.
    ~Jo & CoCo

There in lies the whole problem. We don't really have anyone to be able to do that. Prince is 9 weeks old, almost 10. Looks like I may have to take an extended lunch today. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi,
    He's in his crate for 9 hours at a time sometime? That is way too long for a puppy that young!!!!! His bladder is so small, you can't possible expect him to hold it in that long. He needs to be let out at least every 4 hours during the day.

If you don't know someone, hire someone. That's what we did. She comes everyday at 11:30 and stays for about a 1/2 hour. Frankie is now 1 but I'm still paying her to come everyday because my boys love it. She charges $16/day. Peanuts!

After about 6 months old (I think, not sure about that one) he should be able to hold it for 8 hours.

Take a look at this site. Most are bonded and insured.
    Good luck!!
    http://www.petsit.com

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Yep! *He shouldn't be crated for more than 3 hours then!

Is there an area you can block off in your house, and put newspapers on the floor? *You could put his crate in it, with access to water. *Then he can potty on the papers when he needs to. *

A 9-week old puppy can definitely not hold it for 9hrs in a crate, and when he does go he will be very miserable as they do not want to sleep where they potty. *:-\
    ~Jo & CoCo

First of all WELCOME

When our boy Jack was 9 weeks old We would put a baby play pen (I think it was around $40.00 at kmart ) around his crate with the door open I would put* a shirt from both of us (so he had our scent with him ) and his bed - he had a doggie litter pan and some paper*

I would always stuff and freeze a Kong the night before (I bought 3 and I still rotate them) with some food/treats in it and leave that with his favorite toy.

When he was housebroken we took that away and left his play pen and crate till he was around 6/7 months and found out he can jump out if he really wanted to. So now he is 10 months and stays in his crate while me and DH work during the day and he is fine with it I tell him "kennel up" and he goes right in. ( 8:30 till around 4:00 4:30) but when someone is home he is always out of his crate and the door is always open ( so he can go in if he wants to)

Good Luck I hope this helps

Barney and Bailey is offline Senior Member

Well, I came in here late, and it looks like you've been told everything up to now except this, unless I missed it. If you're getting up at 5:30, letting him out at 6:00 and then putting him up, when is he playing? That's all night in a crate and all day in a crate. Give the little guy a break and hire someone if you can. We get up earlier than we used to just so Bailey has time to play around in the morning before we leave. We're lucky enough to be able to come home at lunch, and then in the evening she stays out until bedtime.

Hope you can find someone to help you, and welcome to the board ;D

Quote Originally Posted by JACKSMOM
    First of all WELCOME

When our boy Jack was 9 weeks old We would put a baby play pen (I think it was around $40.00 at kmart ) around his crate with the door open I would put* a shirt from both of us (so he had our scent with him ) and his bed - he had a doggie litter pan and some paper*

I would always stuff and freeze a Kong the night before (I bought 3 and I still rotate them) with some food/treats in it and leave that with his favorite toy
    This is exactly what we do (minus the litter pan, we just used newspaper over a piece of scrap vinyl flooring that the pen sits on to protect our floor)!! *Its working great. * ;D *CoCo doesn't notice us leave, since she has her face in her kong! *lol! *She actually gets excited when she sees one of us taking her crate, water, and kong down to the spare bedroom in the mornings... *

We bought a 48" high ex-pen, so will probably be able to use it for a while. *Over time we are reducing the amount of newspaper, as she only potties on the papered area. *Eventually, the papers will be gone, and she'll either be crated fully or have the ex-pen access...
    ~Jo & CoCo

Thanks all of you for comments and suggestions. I know it was not meant that way, but now I am feeling quite bad about this today. Looks like I will be taking an extended lunch in just a few.

Now pardon my ignorance, but what exactly are Kongs? I realize they are treats of some kind and I have seen them mentioned elsewhere. I am planning a trip to PetSmart tomorrow and may pick some up while there.

A Kong is a hard rubber toy with a hollow centre for stuffing kibble or treats in... the dogs have to focus their energy to get the food out, which is a beautiful thing!

You can buy the kong for puppies (which is softer rubber), but with our lab it only took a few weeks before she was chewing pieces off... so you might want to just buy the regular Red Kong, for Large Breeds... this will fit about 1/2 cup of kibble! Seal the ends with Peanut Butter, and you have a happy and busy dog! ;D
    ~Jo & CoCo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast