Tons.. of Snow and Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tons.. of Snow and Questions

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

DefaultTons.. of Snow and Questions

OK.. we got hammered again with snow..
    I am glad for the new snow (14 plus inches).. because it is over a layer of (OLD ICE) ..that is 10 inches plus of frozen tundra.

Bad new is.. now Moses can escape from the fence...( snow and ice are so high he can easily get over the 4 foot fence)..
    He is staying in the neighborhood.. but i don't want him terrorizing the neighbors ..
    Any suggestions on how to keep him in ( realize this is a loaded question)

Bad news is ..now when i shovel myself out..
    Moses can't be outside,,(cause he will go over the fence)
    Till i figure out how to keep him in..plus it takes away his frolics in the snow (which is good exercise)

Have a decent size yard ..and Moses before could get some exercise..
    When i walk Moses ,,i always had him right by me from day one (on a short leash) to heel..
    I have a tractable leash... that i never used on Moses do you think i should start using this on walks ( give him more room) ..till the snow goes away and he can't jump over the fence ..or keep him on a short leash..?

Really need some (RECALL) advise.. sooner then i thought..
    Moses whet to Puppy School ..now in a Beginner class...
    What frustrates me is.. the beginner class ( we are 4 weeks in) is almost the same as Puppy School ..(plus in puppy class Moses was voted most improved)
    Honestly Moses is even bored with this class

Was hoping to do RECALL in this class ASAP
    Reading up on RECALL ..know to only start to call Moses to come ONLY when you know he will come.
    Plus have some good treats when he comes..
    What else do you think is the key..?,,that i can start getting my feet wet..?
    None of my dogs really never came....always had them to the parks ..but had to have eyes in back of my head..they never really came unless i could trick them
    If they thought i was running away from them or had a stick etc..they would come.
    I want to to be different for Moses,,( trying my best) but it is not easy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

keep him on a long line and be out there with him to stop him from escaping.

retractible leashes should not be used in tight area or where there are lots of people and dogs as they get tangled. they can also encourage a dog to pull so if he doesn't have a good heel I wouldn't try it. I use it only in trails where we meet few people and I reel the dog in before we get close to people to pass. They can be a pet peeve of many people as they are badly used by most.

Thanks Dryfo..
    But the problem now.. is bigger then I thought .
    My land is not leveled
    Tried a Rope..Moses gets tangled up in it ..
    Then tried the retractible leash for in the yard..(he bits the hell out of it and keeps jumping) on me..i tell him OFF and AH AH,when he bites the leash ..but this worked out better then the rope
    Actually went to the spots Moses escaped ,,shoveled the snow and the ice with a garden shovel (only shovel that will cut through ice)
    so now there is no snow or ice and ..he can still escape
    Moses is the most athletic dog I ever had.. was not afraid of step @ 9weeks (which shocked me)
    Now that he knows he can escape he is going too

Till I can get a new fence or something... it might be months...
    I am SOOO DEPRESSED now..
    Moses can't really get exercise for a awhile (always played with Moses in the yard)
    Plus I always had someone let my dogs out..the person is 70 years old..it might be too much for them on a leash

Being outside with Moses is not a problem..(all my dogs never wanted to be outside without me) Moses more so then the others
    So when ever he is out I am out,,,i might have left him alone a wee bit (outside) but now that is out of the picture now

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Archie is offline Senior Member

Why can't he get exercise now? You're going to have a bigger problem on your hands if you don't find other ways to exercise him.

Is there a big open area you can take him to and let him run around? Or maybe a dog park?

Are you going to obedience classes?

Hey Archie

I do not go on JL for me.. I go on for Moses to do the right thing
    But as the cliché goes (failing miserable) with Moses.
    This is the only WEB SITE ,, I go on.. because I think it is the best .

Moses will be 7 months old Feb 20h.
    I always said the next dog I get .. would down size....labs are a lot of work...but I knew what to expect with a lab so I got Moses
    Had Moses to Puppy Class and now a Beginner group class (which is money down the toilet)
    Hell never had any my pups to class.. but wanted to do the right thing for Moses since I am 62
    You live and learn ..good news is Moses gets along great with other dogs..the females adore him ( really) never seen anything like it..
    He kissing the heck out of them..all the other pet owner want to bring their dog to Moses so he can greet them
    But he needs obedience training (I thought he would get it in the current class ) but i was wrong.. ( have to wait and find new class)

My normal routine is getting up at 3:30 AM every day (Monday thru Friday)
    I let Moses Out.. feed him...then take a 10 minute walks ..then come home we play ball either.. inside or out.. then another 10 minute walk ,,then play some more ball (Moses loves to retrieve like most labs) ..Hell I never walked any of my dogs 2 times in the morning..since I am 62 wanted to give Moses the best I can before I go to work and cage him
    Then when I come home..from work..it is feeding time and a 20 minute walk..
    The 30 minutes to 45 min play time

There is park...a hop and skip away ..from me.
    Had Moses there... once he was fully vaccinated ..( he has been there many times)
    Problem is Moses does not come when you call him.. I can get him (but I have to trick him)
    But like most labs they like to stay near their people.
    Did ask at class 2 weeks if I should let him run at the park or wait till he knows RECALL ( a new word for me on JL) .all I know I wanted Moses to come when I call him....It was suggested I wait till recall.

Now there is no playing in the yard...till I figure something out
    Plus the problem with the person that let's Moses out in the afternoon
    Even if I take him to the park and let him run free it is hard in 20" of snow when your dog does not come..or when you are 62 trying to manure in the snow
    But when I see some of the problems on JL with their dogs..maybe I have it lucky
    Moses really reminds me of (Marley and Me)

It does depresses me ..and guess I am SICK of snow
    But it is a problem I need to act on..and any advise is greatly appreciated..
    Sorry for the long note
    I wear my heart on my sleeve when it come to Moses

Archie is offline Senior Member

No need to apologize or feel bad. Sounds like you love your dog and are willing to learn, and that's the most important!

Are you in PA? Whereabouts? I'm nowhere near you but I could try to do some research and suggest a couple of different training facilities. It doesn't sound like you're really getting what you need from the one you're going to.

Obedience training is really great for tiring them out. Labs need physical and mental exercise. Take your exercises that you learn in class and spend 10 - 20 minutes per day practicing at home.

Until he has a reliable recall, is there a fenced in school yard or abandoned tennis court that you could take him to and let him run? Otherwise, I suggest having him on a 50 ft. lead, and then he has some room to run without the risk of him running away. I know they are a bit of a pain and can get tangled, but they work really well most of the time.

Is there a dog park near you? If he's friendly with other dogs, that's a good option. Dog parks are usually fully fenced and designed to be safe for dogs. Having off-leash play time with other dogs would definitely help burn some energy.

My other thought is that those 10 and 20 minute walks are great, but aren't going to be anywhere near enough to tire him out. On-leash walks don't really help a lab burn any energy. They need to RUN!! Keep brainstorming and looking when you're out driving for a fenced in area you might be able to bring Moses to.

Have you been working on training recall at all? I know my trainer had us start practicing that with our dogs right away, starting at 12 weeks old. It took about 20 minutes of practice every day for about a month before I considered Archie pretty reliable.

Good luck!

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

I am no clear on why the long line is not working. how are you setting this up? I would just literally hold a long line attached to him and play fetch or let him potty. use a harness that attaches to the back for less tangling.

Is there any doggy daycare near you, dog walkers or something that can help tire him out? things are going to go downhill fast if you can't find a way to exercise him.

Find a fenced area to let him run. tennis court, baseball field whatever. Are there FENCED dog parks?

A 10 minute walks I don't really call a walk. that is like a potty break really. Not saying that is bad but that isn't really an exercise thing at that distance.

Do you have friends or family with dogs? a neighbour with a fenced yard an a friendly dog? Set up play dates.

why were the classes money down the drain? was the school bad? was the trainer bad?

Honestly I don't even know where to start - maybe find a positive based trainer to come to you home and help you?

Hey Dryfo,

Located in Allentown Pa, 18103
    Will try my best to answer your questions ,

DRYFO
    I am no clear on why the long line is not working. how are you setting this up? I would just literally hold a long line attached to him and play fetch or let him potty. use a harness that attaches to the back for less tangling.

Answer..
    My land his not level ..it is rocky
    Actually dogs love the place .to investigate .can throw stick and balls.. but a rope can easily get tied up.
    Right now I used a plastic rope something I found (that I did not even know I had)
    Remember it snowed here..the plow just come for the first time about 2 hours ago

DRYFO
    Find a fenced area to let him run. tennis court, baseball field whatever. Are there FENCED dog parks?
    ANSWER
    Again might be an easy fix..if it was April or May,,but it is impossible now

DRYFO
    Is there any doggy daycare near you, dog walkers or something that can help tire him out? things are going to go downhill fast if you can't find a way to exercise him
    ANSWER
    There is a dog park..in Macungie Pa,..but remember the weather condition
    It might be an easy fix if we were in March or April or May...but we are in the worse weather condition right now
    Will check into doggie day care and a pet walker if I can afford it..( but cost is an issue) if I need to get a new fence and training..
    Plus have someone now I had to years to let the dogs out

DRYFO
    A 10 minute walks I don't really call a walk. that is like a potty break really. Not saying that is bad but that isn't really an exercise thing at that distance.
    ANSWER
    I know but remember Moses is all I have
    Get up @ 3:30 am,,then leave for work @ 6am
    Except for 15 minutes for my shower..2 hours and 15 minutes is all Moses time..
    10 minute walks (which scare the hell out of me @ 4 am and 5 am)then ..it's Moses play time..we paly fetch continuously ..now this is going to be impossible out side @ 4 AM
    Not many folks play with their dog over 2 hours before they go to work..( DON'T WANT A METAL.)..just telling it as it is

DRYFO
    why were the classes money down the drain? was the school bad? was the trainer bad?

Honestly I don't even know where to start - maybe find a positive based trainer to come to you home and help you?

ANSWER..yes I think I need a good trainer,,can any one recommend one..?
    In Allentown Pa ..?
    I was just disappointed in the training now..,,we already covered it in Puppy Class..i wish I spent the 189.oo on a session with a good private trainer
    Buy no means bashing the facility ..I am glad Moses interacted with other dogs well

HEY ,,NOW A LOADED QUESTION FOR EVERYONE
    Do you think I can get something on top of the fence that will zap Moses..?
    My neighbor suggested this to me (on top of the fence)

By no means do I want to do anything to screw Moses up

Dryfo/Archie
    Thanks your info did give dome me peace of mind
    Moses in this new line green harness which clips in the back on a 30 ft lead

Got a lot of other checking to do too

Just got to say
    The long lead and harness that attaches in the back
    Might not be right for everyone
    But it was the PERFECT solution for me ( in my current situation)..thanks Dryfo
    Might not be the brightest light-bulb in the chandelier ( but been around the blocks a couple of times)
    I all my years in walking dogs I never enjoyed it ( up to now)
    We can't play l fetch because the ball or stick gets lost in the snow and pappy Jimbo has to find it)
    But Moses is having a BLAST.running up and down the snow banks
    From day one I had Moses on a short lead right by my side.. (to heel..right now I am practicing this inside)
    Also thought with a long lead I would have NO controll WOW was I wrong..
    Actually Moses respects the long lead
    I fell safer walking on snow and ice with a long lead ..then a short lead
    Again this is the FIRST time I ever enjoyed walking a dog ..I am having a blast too

Did more checking on the other suggestions and have more questions..things are looking up
    Sorry sorry .for all the post but I am on to something good right now..due to the help of JL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast