Puppies and stairs

Thread: Puppies and stairs

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppies and stairs

Hi! We've had Piper since she was six weeks old, now she is an old five months! For the first couple of months I carried her up and down the stairs but now she is a moose so she is on her own. My question is, is it okay that she just kind of gallops/slides down the stairs or does that mean she has a problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

sounds like a typical excitable uncoordinated puppy

Good-that's just the response I wanted. I've just read so much on here about joint problems I started to freak out a wee bit!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

marlin is offline Junior Member

I agree they get excitable and therefore miss a step or two, but you might want to enhance the stair ability by practicing/training on the stairs in a controlled heal type fashion.

arlinevg is offline Member

I was concerned about hip and joint issues so to prevent the bounding down the stairs and jumping off the last 3-4 steps, I just limited the upstairs to bedtime only (that's where my little guy sleeps) and walked him downstairs in the morning on leash so I could prevent the big leaps. I stopped doing the leash in the morning at about 7 months when he knew the drill.

In California, where I live, breeders are not permitted to sell dogs until they are 8 weeks old. Did you rescue Piper and that's why you got her at six weeks?

No, I was one of the ignorant who knew nothing about byb's or puppy mills or any of that. I answered an ad on the internet, fell in love and then, thank goodness I found this site. Started lurking, just reading,reading, reading everything everyone had to say and tried it on Piper. Found out pretty much everything everyone had to say made sense, and more importantly, worked so now I've changed my whole philosophy about dogs. Probably the biggest error on my part (even more than getting her where I did) was my thought that if she was a really good dog I would let her have one litter. Now I know not only how irresponsible that is but how dangerous it would be for her since I have no idea what I would be doing. I am so thankful I found this site and I am sure Piper is too!