Drop it...Drop it...Drop it...

Thread: Drop it...Drop it...Drop it...

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultDrop it...Drop it...Drop it...

I've been reading some of the other posts about the drop it command and I am starting to get a little concerned that Piper isn't picking this one up. Up to this point I haven't been too worried cuz I can just pry open her mouth and take whatever out and she doesn't get upset but now I am starting to worry it's taking her too long to figure it out...or it's taking me too long to figure out how to teach her. Any thoughts? She's five months and doing really good with everything but drop it and off! (CounterSurfing) She gets off after I firmly say off but the next minute she will jump up again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've done the same thing here with my GSD but I don't use the command "out" as it's also used in agility and just use "drop" as the command. I have also used a hand signal in junction with this if I'm not necessarily holding the toy still until the dog lets go. You can try rewarding with a treat every time she lets go especially if she has yet to learn this command.

About the "off" command, I very sparingly use it unless I really must. My GSD used to counter surf before we got him so I'm not exactly sure how that behavior was solved. Hopefully someone will chime in on that one.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

DuryLane is offline Member

What I did with my dog to teach her to "Drop It" was..... I get myself a small tempting, tasty treat (piece of cheese, meat, etc.)....then I tell her to give up what item she has by saying "Drop It" and I wave the treat in front of her nose to tempt her with the smell....her natural inclination is to drop what she has and try to take the treat......when she does drop her item, I give her the treat from my hand and tell her "Good Drop It".....I might repeat the praise again saying, "Good Drop It". It has worked well and to this day, I just tell her to drop it, and she will give up what she has, even when it is a valuable item such as a squirrel she caught (just caught one the other day and surprised us all!)

I read years ago that dogs tend to learn a command faster when the command is included with the praise....in other words, instead of saying "Good girl", I include the command I'm trying to teach her, such as "Good Drop It"......or something such as "What a good Drop It". I noticed that when I started to do it that way, the dogs seemed to learn their commands faster.....

Can't help you with the counter surfing. Thinking back, I do have to laugh to myself.....Tilley counter-surfed once when she was a puppy, around 6 months old.....she stole a whole roast and ate the whole thing, because I was stupid enough to leave it too close to the edge of the counter and then I went upstairs. The little voice inside me said to move it more toward the back of the counter before I go upstairs, but I didn't listen to my gut instinct. I came back downstairs and the whole roast was gone! I didn't actually see her eat the friggin' thing, but there is no other logical explanation other than a happy looking dog with a big, fat belly standing in front of me looking content! LOL, LOL

After that, now I always make sure to put anything toward the back of the counter if I think it might tempt her to jump up to check it out. I caught her once after that roast stealing incident, jump u[ on the counter, but a firm "Off.... you bad girl!" (I think I startled her!) in a low, firm voice deterred her and surprisingly, she has never tried counter surfing after that. I wish all reprimands worked that well --- for some reason, she's never counter surfed again....and that's not usually like Tilley, to take a reprimand first time around as obediently as that.....I usually have to remind her that what she wants to do and what I want her to do are two different things, LOL, LOL.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DuryLane View Post
    Can't help you with the counter surfing. Thinking back, I do have to laugh to myself.....Tilley counter-surfed once when she was a puppy, around 6 months old.....she stole a whole roast and ate the whole thing, because I was stupid enough to leave it too close to the edge of the counter and then I went upstairs. The little voice inside me said to move it more toward the back of the counter before I go upstairs, but I didn't listen to my gut instinct. I came back downstairs and the whole roast was gone! I didn't actually see her eat the friggin' thing, but there is no other logical explanation other than a happy looking dog with a big, fat belly standing in front of me looking content! LOL, LOL
    Oh, wow.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice-the video was very informative. Giving a treat for drop it has been working for the most part....it's just her jumping up and stretching her giraffe neck to get to stuff that starts it all. If I could break her of that, she wouldn't have so much to have to drop! Stinker!!!