6 Month Old Puppy Waking Up ALL hours of the night to EAT, UGHHHH! HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Month Old Puppy Waking Up ALL hours of the night to EAT, UGHHHH! HELP!

kk4389 is offline Member

Default6 Month Old Puppy Waking Up ALL hours of the night to EAT, UGHHHH! HELP!

Hello Everyone, I am not new at having lab puppies, but I am having a problem with our new baby, Henry, who's now 6 months. I currently feed him roughly every 6 hours (3 times a day) but I'm finding that If I don't feed him a little right before bed, he wakes up (just like it was daytime) wanting to eat every 6 hours or sooner. I know I am feeding him enough during the day, so there is absolutely NO WAY that he truly is HUNGRY in the middle of the night. Of course, out of necessity to get SOME SLEEP, I end up feeding him some like twice a night. I basically haven't got more than a 5 hour straight sleep since we got him. Here is an example of his night time routine:
    8-9pm- Goes potty then goes to sleep (Sleeps in my bed, always has, as we have neighbors below us and he would bark in the middle of the night in his crate and I don't want my neighbors waking up all hours of the night as well).
    1:30am- Wakes up, jumps down off bed, and sits on the floor and barks until I get up. I have been feeding him like 1/4 cup at this time just to hold him over. He doesn't need to go potty at this time, back to bed, he falls right back asleep.
    4:30am- Wakes up again, NOW needs to go potty which is expected. But wants to eat again, I refrain from feeding him.
    5:30am- Wakes up expecting his morning Cup and a half of food. I feed him. Then back to sleep.
    6:45am latest- Awake for the day. He takes several naps throughout the day, about 45 mins - an hour every other hour-2 hours, sometimes up for 3 hours before napping if I keep him busy. I work from home and need to get my work done in between his potty breaks and him wanting my CONSTANT attention (but that's another story)
    I do get him outside and take him for walks and run with him as much as possible (very hard when it's extremely cold out as it's not safe for him with frostbite). I don't have a fenced yard, so I put him on a run and play fetch to run him. He gets bored after about 10 minutes and starts eating sticks and basically anything he can get his mouth on.
    So I really don't think he's not getting enough exercise, I really feel that he doesn't understand that he shouldn't eat during the night.
    My question is, do I just ignore his barking and HOPE he goes back to sleep, without barking TOO long to wake up the neighbors? Do I get up with him and tell him "NO SUPPERS" "It's not time" until he gets it? I've tried this already, he just goes back to sleep for an hour then awake again wanting to eat.
    PLEASE HELP!!
    **I feed him Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Formula with canned pumpkin mixed in to help him digest the protein. If I don't add the pumpkin, he has diarrhea. I also give him limited amounts of milk bones for treats in between meals, for training and rewarding purposes. And give him about a tablespoon of peanut butter in his kong also for a treat only once a day, in between meals.
    Any help or ideas is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    From an EXTREMELY SLEEP DEPRIVED MOMMY

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

if you have to give pumpkin constantly to avoid diahreah then either you are feeding too much or you need to change foods as this one is not working or he has a health issue

i would crate him in my room and ignore his wake ups. he has learned this is working as you feed hi
    , it will only get worse. crate in your room and give the quiet
    command.

i would bring in a fecal for testing to the vet to see if he's clear or worms and parasites.
    how much food is he getting in a day?

is the 10 min fetch session all he gets for execise? how often do you do it each day? sounds like he needs something more exiting.

raising a puppy when you are home all day can be harder, they get spoiled and learn they get attention whenever they want and don't learn to be alone. hopefully you make a point of ignoring his requests and playing on your terms and to leave the house without him regularly.

kk4389 is offline Member

Thanks Dryfo for responding. I really appreciate it. To answer a few of your questions:

I only give 1 tablespoon on pumpkin mixed into his food once a day. The higher amounts of protein in the "Better Quality Foods" are harder for some dogs to digest. When we first got him, he was on a crappy full of corn and wheat fillers Nutro food, his stools were fine on that, but I am feel very strongly about feeding him the better quality food. I know there are better foods than Blue Buffalo Basics, but right now we are getting what we can reasonably afford. So in a nutshell, the pumpkin has helped aid in his digestion. (It couldn't hurt to send a stool sample to my vet though, which I will also do, just in case) Thanks

Yes, I agree, we are going to start crating him again at night. I think it's the ONLY way to go. I would have done that from the beginning, but I have been trying to respect my neighbors, as they live directly below us, but it's got to happen. Hopefully he won't bark for too long after a couple of nights.

He is getting the recommended dose of food each day (3 1/2-4 cups), just stretched out over 3 feedings and a few small amounts, for a snack in between. Trying to not feed him too many different things besides his food as he tends to have allergies and I don't want them to flare up. I need to take him for allergy testing to see what he is allergic to. I think it's environmental though because his allergies are systemic (his ears, armpits, belly, back & tail. My other dog, who passed a year ago, also had allergies so I am totally experienced with the whole allergy rigamarole. I also have supplemented fish oil once daily to his food to help his skin.

No the 10 min fetch session is not the only exercise he gets. I take him for walks on the leash and run with him each time for about 20-30 minutes. I also take him to the woods nearby, and let him run off leash to retrieve a ball or sticks. Unfortunately, due to the massive amounts of extreme cold weather and snow we've had here this winter, it is very hard to get him more exercise. I wish I had a treadmill. Right now we have about a foot of snow and it's been butter cold so we can't stay out too long. I do also let him run and hop around through the snow in the yard. He loves that and I find it gives him the exercise he so desperately needs. I also play a lot with him in the house, tug of war and fetch so he does run a lot in the house, just not full speed like outside. Fetch is his favorite game, in case you couldn't tell :-)

I so agree about raising a puppy when you're home all day. It has proven quite challenging. I am finally feeling more comfortable leaving him in his crate for 2-3 hours while I run out and do errands. And he is really good about having his own playtime while I work. He naps for about an hour at a time, throughout the day still. I also sometimes put him in his crate for naps and leave the room to do things around the house or work, just to create more separation. He likes his crate for naps and even bedtime, it's just when he wakes up that he starts barking to get out.

So I am going to try the crate in the room tonight and see how that goes. He needs to learn that night time is SLEEP time not just nap time like during the day.

After seeing my answers, can you think of anything else that may be helpful?

Any winter exercise suggestions for the bitter cold (0-20 degrees) and deep snow would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thank You for Your Time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DuryLane is offline Member

Do you have a treadmill?.....If you do, you could teach him to use it for a few minutes to help drain some energy and tire him out before it is time to settle down before bed. I did it with my dog when she was young, and it was so beneficial to her and me.

Regarding the food, if you have to use pumpkin to keep his stools firm, then I'd think about changing his food to something more tolerable. There are so many options out there that there is no need to feed him something that doesn't give him good results.

Every time you give in and feed him in the middle of the night, you are teaching him that he if wants to eat, just wake you up, and persist and he'll get what he wants. When he starts to bug for food in the middle of the night, I'd just firmly tell him to go back to sleep. No fuss, no muss, firm and to the point. Don't let him get to you and allow you to get frustrated or force you to give in to his demands. You may have to go through a couple of difficult nights to get the point across to him, but there is no other way to get him out of that habit.

I'd get rid of the milk bone biscuits and give him a small treat before bed to help hold him over until morning, but I'd give something with protein or a bit of fat to keep him satiated and hold him through the night. A couple of lean pieces of meat or pieces of cheese if he can tolerate it, will help to hold him over till morning.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

it doesn't matter how "great" or "high quality" a food is said to be (and there is no real professional study, most sites are personal opinion), if you need to add pumpkin for the dog to process it that means that food is not working for your dog. Lots of dogs don't do well on foods said to be "high quality". I would try another food.

we just go out in the winter. cold and snow does not slow down our routine. I dress up and off we go. ICE is the only thing that slows us down, i feel it is unsafe to let a dog run on icy surfaces so we find alternative options (see post in Lab Chat)

duftepuppe1 is offline Junior Member

Smile6 month old Lab

We have an almost 4 month old Lab - he only gets fed twice a day, morning and evening, approximately 2 cups at a time- Blue Buffalo did not agree with him - runny stools, we were advised to get Royal Canin 33 Labrador Puppy food -just ordered that in the hopes that it will be the right thing for him - to get rid of the runs, we had to put him on expensive Royal Canin prescription only dry food and that mixed with Blue Buffalo is fine. We have been crating our dog in the bedroom (our daughter's) since we got him and he is fine with that and sleeps through the night until we get up in the morning.

We have had two other Labs and they are a working breed and need tons of exercise, that's for sure. Hope the crating does the trick - that dog has you trained for sure - they are such smart cookies to figure out how to get their human to do for them as they wish!!

CallieAndKing is offline Member

3 1/2 - 4 cups a day may simply NOT be enough for YOUR boy. The amounts on any bag of dog food are general guidelines. Some dogs - like our now 10 month old boy - need more than that. Our Angus was on 6 cups each day from about 5.5. months until 9 months. We gradually took him back down to four to see if he was ready for less food and we went right back to the type of behavior you are reporting. Give him MORE food. Just add another 1/2 cup at a time up to 6 cups. You should know when he is getting enough for HIS metabolism. Our boy continued to gain weight at the rate he should have been and if anything is still a bit under weight at his last vet check up.

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

wrightstuf is offline Junior Member

Wow, i cant believe the huge amounts of food people are saying here. I feed my 21 lb and 11 week old Lab female Wellness Core. Its recommended amount for her weight is 3 an 1/4 cups a day. She is growing like a weed. Extremely active and looks to be perfectly proportioned. As my dog gets older the amounts go Down, not up, as their weight gaining tapers off and becomes more stable. If i fed my dog 6 cups a day, she would look more like a basketball than a dog lol.
    You should NOT have to add anything to a good brand dry dog food...its complete. If you are, then the food you're using isnt agreeing with your dog. Just because its a "premium" brand doesn't mean its right for your dog. Check with your vet!

mauricio is offline Senior Member

i have two labs at the moment. jake is about 85 lbs and gets 2 cups of food a day , a blob of organic non fat yogurt, and a spoon of organic pumpkin(along with metamucil, anal gland issues and this helps).

vangie, is smaller at 65 lbs, and also has some issues due to high eosinophil count, so her food, novel protein, is rotated after about a month. 1 cup, twice a day.

they each get a bit of coconut oil.

i believe different brand foods, often require more or less . certainly, i don't go by what the bag says which has always been too much for my dogs. and they have perfect ( knock on wood) poops, usually one a day.
    neither dog is fat or skinny.

i do agree that he doesn't know he shouldn't be eating in the middle of the night, and you feeding him , helps him believe that.

CallieAndKing is offline Member

Just like human beings, each dog is an individual with its own metabolism and energy level. A dog that is not crated all day while it's humans are at work is going play harder and sleep less. They will likely need more food. I work at home so that is the case with our three dogs.

Our 8 year old yellow Lab Callie and our 9 year old Tripawd Kind get 2 cups of their adult food; one cup each for breakfast and dinner. Angus is on the same brand of food albeit the puppy version. And our Vet is our Breeder.

The photos below were taken in the last week. Angus is the Black (at 6 cups a day would you say that he is "fat"?) and Callie is the Yellow. Each dog is different; Callie was spayed in July of 2013 and now carries more weight than is usual. We've upped her activity level and adjusted her food which prior to spaying was at 3 cups per day.

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

Our Yellow Baby Girl "Dream A Little Dream" born December 16 2014
    Our Chocolate Girl "Kona of the Storm" born August 8 2014
    Our Black Boy "Angus Demetrius" born April 26 2013
    Our Yellow Girl "Calliope" born January 6, 2006
    Our TriPawd "King" - Shelter Rescue born late fall 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast