PINCHER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PINCHER

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

DefaultPINCHER

Moses ...6 .5 months
    Went to Puppy Pre School now in a beginner class.
    When he is in training or when I walk him the wares I pincher collar

What r your thoughts on Pincher Collars..?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jjkroell is offline Member

NOT required.
    I am a firm believer of reward based training and using a pincher is negative training. If you pup pulls get a front loading harness for when you're not training but while you're training a standard collar should be used.

Just my .02 worth

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

mauricio is offline Senior Member

do you mean a prong collar?

most classes do not allow them, where i come from. and why are you using it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know,,
    I am kinda on the fence
    and honestly appreciate all advise
    know I can't go cold turkey (for many reasons)(not using a pincher or prong)
    But a wanna ween Moses out of this (pincher) a GL will not be the answer ( I am 100 percent sure)

Yesterday I did a search
    gotta say this web site has great info

Here is Sticky's (Best advise)
    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GRADUALLY WEEN HIM OFF THE PINCHER..?

Pinch Collar Tutorial:

W/guidance, the Pinch collar can be your salvation (it sure was ours!).

1) It must fit correctly. Meaning it must be snug so's not to fall down around the dog's chest, but not too snug that it pinches 100% of the time.

2) It must be worn UP around the ears. Also, be careful putting it on and taking it off. Use the same ring every time (mark it w/a piece of electical tape) so that it becomes easier. And I would not use the breakaway pinch collars, as they tend to, well, breakaway, even when you don't want them to.

3) Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use a Pinch collar w/out you or someone responsible on the other end of the leash.

4) THE LEASH/LIVE RING MUST BE KEPT LOOSE INBETWEEN CORRECTIONS.

5) Pincher collar is a goodcop/badcop training tool, meaning the collar is badcop, You MUST be goodcop. When teaching, be sure to PRAISE the good stuff while the collar corrects the bad stuff!

6) Unlike a G/L or Halti, Pinch can be used to teach more than heel. In fact, it's pretty good at helping you teach the auto-sit, down, etc. etc.

BUT!!!!!!

7) A Pinch collar isn't a way of life. When your dog has learned what you wanted him to learn, graduate back to a buckle collar (maybe a choke chain first, THEN to a buckle) and retire the pinch to the bottom of your training bag.

Alhough it may look like a midevil torture device, it is not. And although your dog may yelp when it corrects, he's not being hurt. It gains their attention 100%. It's then up to you what you do w/that attention...

jjkroell is offline Member

haha.. good cop bad cop.. what a crock. You don't think the dog KNOWS you are the one doing the corrections? bwahahahahaha. Excuse me, I have to change my underwear cause I'm laughing so hard.

The pincher collar is designed to instill fear of pain in to the dog. The dog learns that being away from you it will hurt so the dog will stay close. Wouldn't you rather have your dog want to stay close to you because the dog WANTS TO? Because you're fun to be around and give him treats etc etc.

It takes a lot of work and consistency in training and I personally feel the pincher collar is the easy way out.

Libby - 11 Sep 2013

Pinch or simply prong collars are best suited for stronger breeds like a German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois. They are NOT for every dog and should be considered as a last option for dog training for those that are lot harder to control and need a much more firmer correction. As been advised already, you should be using a regular flat collar for training or you can choose to use a martingale collar as an aid. For learning to walk on a lead, a Gentle Leader harness(not to be mistaken with the regular back clip harnesses)or Halti could be used. By the looks of it, your pup does not sound like he should be wearing a prong collar at that age as it can potentially pose a risk of damaging his developing neck region and most training facilities will not welcome that type of collar. The prong collar can be both used in the wrong way or can actually benefit the dog- but that is only if it is applied as intended. I've seen these collars just dangling loose on a dogs neck like it's an accessory item or completely clueless owners that did not know how to properly use them on their dogs. Your pup is very young so please find some other options other than using that collar.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo B View Post
    I know,,
    7) A Pinch collar isn't a way of life. When your dog has learned what you wanted him to learn, graduate back to a buckle collar (maybe a choke chain first, THEN to a buckle) and retire the pinch to the bottom of your training bag.
    Also, I wouldn't even think to use a choke chain as it tends to cause pressure in the same area each time it's used unlike the prong collar that applies even pressure around the dog's neck instead. If the prong collar is used correctly and you get good results, then why retire it completely?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Thanks all for your input.
    I was never 100% sold on the pincher collar

Some comments,
    - After I asked the question on the pincher collar.
    - thought maybe a should have did a search
    - when I did the search..on Just Labradors
    - did direct me to (Sticky's Best advise on puppies)
    - actually the pincher collar comes up first
    Maybe this needs to be revisited ..or updated ..?
    By no means bashing anything..i think this forum is great.( wanna do the best thing for Moses)

Next Saturday when Moses goes to class .I will not use the pincher..And question an alternative
    But for walks right now..i need to use the pincher till I find something else
    I am open to suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo B View Post
    Next Saturday when Moses goes to class .I will not use the pincher..And question an alternative
    But for walks right now..i need to use the pincher till I find something else
    I am open to suggestions
    A prong collar can be used for training to walk on lead and for some dogs can prevent them from pulling as much against the leash. For corrections with it, I would only do slight "pops" which is basically done with the wrist and all that is needed to send a message to the dog. If the dog responds to the collar well, keep using it for that. If he doesn't and ignores it, then I would find something else. You can also opt to try the Gentle Leader type harness where the leash clips in the front part of the dog instead of the back. It focuses on the chest and shoulder region and will not cause discomfort nor injury to the dog's neck if you prefer that.

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Zero pain factor here. I often use a prong collar with Gracie. She will pull and lunge with all of her weight when excited .....it does not phase her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast