Obedience training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obedience training

DefaultObedience training

I want to have help with obedience training Boone. My vet recommended a trainer in our area. I contacted her last night. She does private lessons for beginning obedience training. It is an 8 week course for $300. She comes to my home for one hour each week. Is this a reasonable price? I have no clue what to expect because I have never done this before. She comes highly recommended by my vet and his entire staff. She uses treats and positive reinforcement and told me that the choke collar will not be used for a puppy this age. She said we should start as soon as possible. Boone is 10 wks old. I thought training wasn't supposed to start until they were a bit older. Is that not the case? I have been working with him at home, more as just play. He is doing well so far. Any suggestions on other questions I should ask before I do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Obedience training

I think that is a normal price for having personal lessons with a trainer coming to your home, which I always think is pretty steep. You should consider other options for Boone before committing to that trainer. Perhaps you would prefer taking him to lessons that are held with others and their dogs at a local park so that he can socialize and you can learn to give commands even with other distractions. That type of training is typically half the cost or even less, but you need to decide what you think is best for you and your puppy.

Thanks. There aren't alot of options where I live. I have tried to find group lessons, but there are none available. We have a Petco here, but they can't find a trainer to teach. They have a big sign advertising that they are hiring trainers, but they told me they haven't had any luck finding anyone. I couldn't even find one trainer listed in the yellow pages. Pretty slim pickins' here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

There are some members here from Utah. Taytana (spelling?) is one I think ... she owns Scotty.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Found these club on the AKC website.

Bonneville Basin Kennel Association

Corresponding Secretary : Joyce Vaughn
    Address: 999 Halcyon Dr, Murray, UT , 84123-4458
    Email: [email protected]
    Club Type: All Breed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Spike Dog Obedience Club

Corresponding Secretary : Sue Richey
    Address: 3973 N 550 W, N. Ogden, UT , 84414--104

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great Salt Lake Dog Training Club

Corresponding Secretary : Dorathy Hart
    Address: 1840 E 7020 South, Salt Lake City, UT , 84121

Intermountain Kennel Club, Inc.

Corresponding Secretary : Jeannette Gibson
    Address: 12945 Nichols Ln, Riverton, UT , 84065-6604
    Email: [email protected]

Utah Valley Kennel Club

Corresponding Secretary : Betty Tippetts
    Address: PO Box 367, Orem, UT , 84059
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Thanks for the info, but we are about 350 miles away from the major cities in Utah. We are actually alot closer to Las Vegas (120 miles). I guess I could drive to Las Vegas once a week, but it would probably cost just as much for gas as for the private lessons. I will make note of those listings though because I would like to get involved in shows in the future.

It's sticker shock but that's pretty normal pricing for private lessons.

It's never too early to start lessons. The reason most people start later is that they are going to group lessons and need to ensure that the dog has completed all of its shots prior to starting. Since this trainer is coming to your home, you won't have to wait.

I'd ask this trainer if she offers group lessons at all. It would be good, once you've got the basics down, to meet in a group setting to work with distractions.

I had a quote from a personal trainer for $400 for 6 one hour sessions and a neighbor has a trainer come to her home for $60/ 1 hr session. So I'd say the price is pretty good I would see about doing 1/2 hr sessions or something like that though because I can't see a 10 wk old having the attention span to actually learn that much and enjoy it for an hour nornally with a puppy you need to do short sessions through out the day. Then again most of the training is training you so the puppy could play while she was explaining things to you.

300 dollars for 6 weeks of group work is NOT a good price. Go to Http://www.absoluteobedience.com and ask my trainer (Carla Collins) for a good recommendation in your area. She seems to know someone just about everywhere.

Carla charges $75.00 an hour in YOUR home and $300 group classes (5-8 owners) for the LIFE of your pet. Your second dog is half price. Also Carla goes to seminars every week around the world and is well known for her Rescue, and other training works. When Carla isnt training our group classes, she is all over the place with her dog scooby learning new things and holding seminars. She has 3 offices she works out of.

I was very impressed with her resume, that I drive over an hour to make the group classes, and ive seen a huge change on my dogs behaviors.

Good Luck, I think she will provide you with some good advice. (214-850-SITS)

I'm sorry, I had to re-read the postings, I thought we were talking about group classes. 300 bucks is a fair price, but group classes would be much better. You need the interaction with other animals, helps them cope with destractions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast