For those of you.. with little HELLIONS (finally success)

Thread: For those of you.. with little HELLIONS (finally success)

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those of you.. with little HELLIONS (finally success)

Notice for new members many have pups in the 4 to 8 month range.
    Moses is my 6 month old lab ..( I wish I knew 2 months ago what I know now) this goes the same when he was 4 months old wish I knew it @ 2 months.
    PLEASE .PLEASE BY NO MEANS..am I trying to know to say ( I know it all.).just wanted to share something .
    Moses is.. and will be a hellion for awhile.
    Also had some behavioral issues with Moses.
    I was told by the trainer in a Dog Beginner training Class (to give Moses time outs)
    Each time he has issues to put him in his cage for a couple of minutes (only a couple)
    This weekend I must have put him in his cage 50 times (for 3 to 5 minutes)
    I didn't yell or scream (like a normally do)...
    Just said calmly ..Moses you need a time out ( grabbed Moses by the collar and then put him in cage)
    WOW starting Sunday,,i seen a BIG IMPROVEMENT in Moses .. right now if a catch him at something I say sit..(and he sits) then a praise the hell out of him (you don't know how happy this makes me) cause I thought I would never get to this point

I joined this forum to learn and to do the BEST I can for Moses..
    Not saying my advise is correct(but it might help someone)

Again am here to learn as much as I can

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Thanks. we'll try that.
    Saturdays are ok but each Sunday Ruby almoist gets sold off to slavery (for cheap!)!
    I have to keep stopping my Wife from doing it as she gets the brunt of Rudy's naughtyness.

Hellion.... That's funny. :-)
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Just keep telling yourself he is going to be awesome someday, because he will.
    Trust me, you will smile when you look back on this stage.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mrmjp is offline Junior Member

That would make sense. I see my puppy getting very overstimulated at times(just like my daughter did when she was little) and she stops listening and looses focus entirely. We give her a "time out" and she calms down, naps, etc and then she is back to normal.

arlinevg is offline Member

I hate to rain on your parade, but those hellion days are probably not behind you. Kudos to you and your pup though for making progress and feeling success. Our nine month old, Odie, had been the absolute perfect puppy (and he's lab #3 for us). That is until he hit his "teenage years". Now he is having all sorts of issues with walking on leash (wants to stop and say hello to everyone and everything, wants to eat all poop of any kind, etc.), he is stealing everything he can (tv remotes, glasses, large decorative candles, socks, etc.), chomps on them, wants you to chase him to take them away, etc. On Saturday he played chase with a dead bird he discovered (before I did) on our patio and was able to gobble up 1/2 of it before I could literally pull it out from being almost down his throat. He's fine, but as I'm not certain as what killed the bird (before Odie called it a snack), I'm still watchful. His poop smelled soo bad afterwards I gagged picking it up and carrying it in the poop bag to the garbage container. Tomorrow I will be calling around to find a good private dog trainer to work with in addition to the Puppy II class he starts next week. Good luck to you (and me too!).

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by arlinevg View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade, but those hellion days are probably not behind you. Kudos to you and your pup though for making progress and feeling success. Our nine month old, Odie, had been the absolute perfect puppy (and he's lab #3 for us). That is until he hit his "teenage years". Now he is having all sorts of issues with walking on leash (wants to stop and say hello to everyone and everything, wants to eat all poop of any kind, etc.), he is stealing everything he can (tv remotes, glasses, large decorative candles, socks, etc.), chomps on them, wants you to chase him to take them away, etc. On Saturday he played chase with a dead bird he discovered (before I did) on our patio and was able to gobble up 1/2 of it before I could literally pull it out from being almost down his throat. He's fine, but as I'm not certain as what killed the bird (before Odie called it a snack), I'm still watchful. His poop smelled soo bad afterwards I gagged picking it up and carrying it in the poop bag to the garbage container. Tomorrow I will be calling around to find a good private dog trainer to work with in addition to the Puppy II class he starts next week. Good luck to you (and me too!).
    This is Ruby all over!
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

I wanted to comment on the (Dead Bird) post.. as soon as i saw it .
    But since i have a couple of Threads ( did not want folks to think ..HEY what the heck is this guy saying now!!!!!)
    But.. like my dog Moses i can't control myself..
    This happened to me too in December when i had Moses to the park..
    Moses did not eat the bird.. but had the bird in his mouth..
    Had him off the leash ... playing ball ..and great dog treats in my pocket
    All of a sudden Moses is sniffing the ground not paying attention to me..
    Then a (Dead Bird) ..i freaked too
    It was almost impossible to get this away..from him

So.. we know it is true
    A Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
    Or.. in Dog terms.. ..a bird in the mouth is worth a hundred of the best dog treats

Yeap.. i agree with you 100 percent
    The worse is yet to come
    Moses has 3 more classes in Beginner Training
    Then March 1st i have a private session with a new trainer
    Then March 19th. he goes to adult class
    Please keep me posted how your dog's training is going and what your trainer recommends..,i will do the same ..if you like.

Hey.. if i can save a couple of bucks..on more private sessions..it will be great..
    (it may or may not help).,but i want to learn all i can

Was sooooo careful with Moses from day one .
    Moses was going to be perfect dog ..wow did things back fire for me
    Out of all the dogs i had.. Moses.. is my problem child..
    I did not even begin to hit the surface or the problems

Good luck.. to you too
    Please share what your trainer suggest ..