chewing during the night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chewing during the night

Defaultchewing during the night

I have a 10 mth old lab who is as sweet as can be.
    I let him sleep in the bed with me & I love it.
    I woke up this morning & he has chewed a hole through my feather comforter. I am ashamed to admit that this is not the first time he has done this. I am also missing a corner of my bed-skirt...
    I don't reprimand him b/c I have been told not to punish dogs after the fact b/c they won't understand what they are being punished for. I have only caught him once & he was in big trouble. Otherwise, I'm asleep when this happens, so its hard for me to catch him in the moment.
    He is crate trained & gladly stays in the crate when I go to work. However, he will bark if I put him in there at night, b/c he knows he can sleep in the bed with me & frankly I want him to keep sleeping in the bed. I make sure he has plenty of bones to chew throughout the night and I do my best to ware him out when I get home from work.
    PLEASE HELP. Any suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: chewing during the night

Hmm. That's a tough one.

Crating him will certainly curb his chewing but it seems as though you are pretty set on NOT crating him again. If I were you, I'd go back to crating him at night. He's telling you he's not fully ready to be loose and trusted at night yet. Just because you go back to crating him does NOT mean he has to be crated for the rest of his life. I'd crate him at night for the next month, then give him another run of being loose at night. If he's good, GREAT. If he chews something again, I'd crate him again for a month or 2, then try it again. Supplying him with plenty of chews at night isn't going to curb him chewing your stuff. His chews aren't nearly as fun to chew on as your comforter and other items.

My Moose is 2 years old and it wasn't until about 1-2 months ago until I was able to allow him to sleep in my room, loose at night.

I would personally probably go back to the crate too. If he barks ignore him. Do it for at least a month then try it again. If you don't want to I'd try to really ware him out but that's not always possible I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree with the others...back to the crate for a while. I also wouldn't encourage ANY chewing at night. Night time is for sleeping, not playing

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I have to agree - I'd go back to the crate. If he doesn't wake you up with his chewing would you even know if he got off the bed and started chewing on something else. What if he decides to swallow something he is chewing.

Make sure you are not setting him up to fail by not letting him mature before letting him sleep on the bed and reinforcing negative behaviours that will really be difficult to break later on.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with the others about going back to crating. As for chewtoys in the crate, on balance I think it's a good idea to have one and one only. Night time isn't playtime, but it is good to give the pup something to do when (note I say "when," not "if") they wake up before you. Theo will often lie in bed in the morning chewing while he waits for us to get off our lazy a$$es.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Just a word of caution - I used to let Sky have a nylabone in her crate because she would chew on it if she woke up. The problem is that she starts chewing on it some times around 4:30 in the morning and it is really loud - at least it seems that way when it is so quiet in the house. I finally took it our of her crate and she does fine. I'm lucky in that Sky loves her crate more than anything else. You can't get her to sleep any place else but her crate. Moose has slept on our bed since he was about 16mths - before then he would have gotten into way too much trouble.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Nighttime is for sleeping! We've never given Rocksy anything to chew on in her crate, nor any toys. All she gets is a cushion, a swift "nite nite" and we don't hear from her again until she wakes up all bouncy and happy at about 6.30am.
    And so far she hasn't died or become the dog from hell!!!
    Give them an inch...

We used to do the crate- but with no exaggeration, the barking was constant till about 8mths old. Then I finally caved & let him in the bed. (I had to get some sleep!!) I tried everything under the sun to make him stop barking in the crate, except for ignoring him. See, my hands are tied- I live in an apt. & can't let him keep my neighbors up or get us evicted. So I had to do some kind of reprimanding. The only thing I didn't try was the spray bottle, maybe I should try that??
    While in the crate he always has 1 steralized bone (nothing he can choke on) incase he gets bored. In the bedroom he has about 3 to choose from, but you're right- my stuff is more fun. I agree that he is probably still too young- but if I'm going to do the crate at night- he has got to stop the barking. The vet says he probably does this b/c of seperation anxiety. He is extremely attached to me, so we have the crate in my bedroom so if he wakes up he can see that I'm right there & he is not alone- but thats not good enough, he needs to be on me...which I love- but I don't love him eating my stuff!!
    I will try the crate tonight & see how we do...

We give Taz 1 chewtoy (KONG) at night it seems to help him go to sleep.
    It's a real bummer you cannot ignore the barking that seems to be the only thing that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast