When's a good time to start pups in the water????

Thread: When's a good time to start pups in the water????

DefaultWhen's a good time to start pups in the water????

I am very curious to see Bo get in the water to see him play. I just dont want to do it to soon so he wont be afraid. Should I just take him to the lake and let him get in on his own or hold him while I go in? I know he likes jumping in the flower bed puddles when im watering the plants. Just dont want him to be afraid to swim cause my other two dogs ( lab mix and blue heeler) dont really like to swim : Dont know Help me out with any advice please Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When's a good time to start pups in the water????

As long as the water's warm enough, you can introduce him whenever. If you're going to a lake that the public has access though, I'd wait until your pup has all his shots (~4 months). A kiddie pool is also a good introduction A pretty fool proof way to make sure your pup likes water is to tag a long with some friends who have water loving dogs...let hom watch those dogs do their thing and he'll be in there in now time!

We started ours last summer, when he was about 4 mos. old. There's a big, wide creek (almost like a small river) near us. We waded in, and he went with us. He jumped, pranced, and splashed, and had a ball! After awhile, we waded out into the deeper area, he followed, and suddenly.....he was gliding. He looked like a polar bear swimming. We had an Air Kong with us, and threw it a few times. He kept retrieving it.

We're very lucky; we have 2 ponds about 1000 yds. from our property. The neighbor's have given permission for Tucker to swim anytime...they said they'd love watching him. With the weather getting warmer, he's been swimming 3 times this past week....we just came from the ponds awhile ago today. He'll sometimes go into the water and stand or walk around, but usually he's sitting and just waiting to jump in after his Air Kong. He LOVES swimming!

Just monitor the swimming; a lot of dogs will just keep going, going, going (ours will). Make sure they don't get overly tired. And it's a good idea to clean ears afterward. Our vet's always telling us to keep him swimming.....helps keep the weight in check.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am usually a proponent of waiting until it's warm enough to wade in, but I took some 3 month old pups for a walk down to a pond and 2 went in by themselves. The important thing is don't force them.

A newbie here, but at least I have gotten one of my questions answered. Have just gotten a chocolate pup this week that is 9 weeks old. Now I will need to find a good place to let him try it out.

My grand dog, Bailey, is a little off here. He's not crazy about the water and he won't go in a baby pool. He'll go in the water, but not until he's dipped his toes in a few times.

We took Tasman out yesterday to the beach and there was one of those shallow pools . DH on one side me on the other "COME TAAAAZZZ" and he came running to me (the water only came to his belly. No problem.
    I am just taking it easy but it's great to see them enjoying! ;D