3 year old Lab getting into trouble while we're gone

Thread: 3 year old Lab getting into trouble while we're gone

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

Default3 year old Lab getting into trouble while we're gone

Hi everyone! Autumn is now 3.5 years old. She's always been a great pup, and never got into trouble or anything she wasn't supposed to. That is, until about the last 6-8 months.

Since she was about a year we would leave her out of the crate in the house while we went out on our short errand runs, and there never was any problem. However, about 6-8 months ago we find that she's getting into anything she can while we're gone so we've started crating her again while we're out.

Welp, I went out to move my car so my husband could leave for work. She wanted out, but we told her to stay. In the short amount of time it took to move my car (under 5 minutes, maybe only 3 minutes) she started chewing my chapstick and I found that she started pulling things out of the nightstand drawer which was ajar. As soon as I walked in the door she did her on the back "I'm so sorry" roll. So I knew something was up.

I have a couple of questions here:

1. What's the best way of disciplining her? We don't yell at her or hit her.

2. How can we go about curbing this behavior? We'd prefer to leave her in the house while we're out for protection of home, and just in case something catastrophic may happen (like a fire, we'd like her to be able to not be locked in something helpless).

3. Any ideas of why she might be doing this? We're thinking she's mad at us for not taking her. She's fairly used to going with us everywhere. But since it's been rather warm we don't want to leave her in the car for even a few minutes.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

dogs do noy do things out of revenge. they do them just because they can.

have you changed the routine at all in the last year? less training, less exercise, change of food, a move, change in household dynamics?

don't punish for things that happr when you are not there and set the dog up for success even if it means crating even when you shower (or really dog proof).

mauricio is offline Senior Member

back in the crate as she is telling you that she can't be trusted.

people get mad for not taking them, dogs don't do that stuff.even if it seems so at times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

You can't correct the behavior unless you watch it happening.

Crate the dog. Your worries about crating are unfounded. I would rather have the dog crated than choke on chewing something that they weren't supposed to get.

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfo View Post
    dogs do noy do things out of revenge. they do them just because they can.

have you changed the routine at all in the last year? less training, less exercise, change of food, a move, change in household dynamics?

don't punish for things that happr when you are not there and set the dog up for success even if it means crating even when you shower (or really dog proof).
    No, no changes that we can think of. We're sticking to the same routines, she goes to the dog park daily and we go on walks before bed.

We're not punishing or scolding her when we see that she got into something. We clean it up, and have been more cognizant of what is around the house.

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

maybe change up then A new park, a walk in a new place. just something new and different!