leash training

Thread: leash training

Defaultleash training

At what age can they start going on walks with you?

Lucy is getting used to the leash. I put it on her at home a lot, partly to keep her near me and partly to get her used to it. Also, my DD takes her out in the front yard everyday when my younger DS catches the school bus.

We love to go for walks and jogs and I was wondering when Lucy would be able to join us.

Thanks-
    Kristy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: leash training

Short walks - after all shots
    Longer walks - 8-mos to a year, depending on how 'long' long is (and things like temp/humidity)
    Jogging - Not 'til 2 or older

dont run/jog with your dog on a leash until she is at least 2 years old. it can cause joint and growth problems.
    Personally i wouldnt take a puppy on a walk until it has all of it's shots and vaccines.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!!

I didn't realize you shouldn't jog with them until they were older. I did read where the time you take them out should correlate to their age in months. I think it was something like 5 min/mo.

Should I watch the amount of time I play fetch with her too? (Not that she fetches yet, but when she does)

Kristy

eep ... so taking my bike out and letting her run beside me is not good for her yet? Thank goodness it has only been once, and it was just short little bursts (as my bike was acting up).

she's just over 9 months old.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Fetching is okay because she can stop when she wants. Jogging, where either you're encouraging her to keep up OR her prey drive/play drive kicks in and she WANTS to run w/you, is much more stressful on the still-forming joints. Especially on asphalt and sidewalks.

Biking just makes the problem worse.

YES to plenty of exercise. NO (at this age) to strenuous running/jogging. So the exercise should be more play like fetch, swimming, hide-n-seek, etc.