potty training question

Thread: potty training question

Defaultpotty training question

Hi all!

I'm so glad this board is back!!

Well we have had Lucy home now for 1.5 weeks. The first week went really well. She only had on average one accident a day and she did fabulous in her crate! Not a peep from her!!

This week she seems to be settling into the house and doing a little worse. I thought maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, but she actually peed in her crate this morning while I was gone.

My question is, how long does it take for them to realize they should go to the door to potty? She always goes when we take her out and we try to follow a routine as much as possible. I'm not complaining. I don't expect this to be a quick and easy process. I'm just looking for a time frame. (I also put bells on the door.)

Thanks and it is great to be back!

Kristy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: potty training question

Individual performance will vary; see your owner's manual.

Knowing that you've only been at it for a week and a half, though, tells me you've got a way's to go. Their brains are pea sized as pups (dunno how old Luiy is), so it's going to take a LOT of positive reinforcement before it kicks in for good.

Crate - Is it to big?? She's not supposed to have enough room to 'go' in there.....

DefaultRe: potty training question

Thanks. I know it will take a while. I've bought my Nature's Miracle in the gallon size! Her crate is pretty small. I'm using the crate we use for our ShiTzu. She has room to cirlce around, but not too much more. I figured I'd use that crate while I can and then buy the bigger one. Is 42" the size for an adult lab, or should I go with 48"?

Thanks-
    Kristy